Larry

Default Turning text into a hyperlink

What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or text?

Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of the
document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn into that
link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill appear, but they
will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I do this in various ways,
but I'm wondering how other people do it.

Thanks.
Larry

Larry

Or let's say you've just copied the shortcut to a webpage, or you've
copied a url from the address bar of a webpage, and you switch back to a
Word document and you want to make a couple of words of text in that
document into a hyperlink using that url. What is the quickest way
(fewest number of steps) of doing that?

Larry wrote:
What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or text?

Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of the
document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn into that
link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill appear, but they
will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I do this in various
ways, but I'm wondering how other people do it.

Thanks.
Larry

TF

Larry

Actually it is VERY simple. Insert the hyperlink as normal using Insert,
Hyperlink. Note at the top of the Insert Hyperlink dialog, there is a box
that says, Text to Display. Just overwrite the hyperlink with your text.
There also an option the right of the Text to Display window to customise
the Popup Tooltip display as well.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Larry" wrote in message
: Or let's say you've just copied the shortcut to a webpage, or you've
: copied a url from the address bar of a webpage, and you switch back to a
: Word document and you want to make a couple of words of text in that
: document into a hyperlink using that url. What is the quickest way
: (fewest number of steps) of doing that?
:
:
:
: Larry wrote:
: What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or text?
:
: Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
: http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of the
: document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn into that
: link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill appear, but they
: will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I do this in various
: ways, but I'm wondering how other people do it.
:
: Thanks.
: Larry
:
:

Larry

Cool, I had never realized that the Insert Hyperlink dialog box could be
used to apply a hyperlink directly to selected text and that this would
turn the selected text into the hyperlink display text. The way this is
done is, once the url is in the Clipboard, I select the text to be
linked, open the Hyperlink Insert box, paste the url into the "Link to
File or URL" window, and execute.

The reason I asked this was, not knowing the technique you just pointed
out, I had developed some macros of my own for this purpose, but I was
wondering what the "built-in" way of doing this was. My macro reduces
this procedure from the three steps needed with the dialog box to one
step. I select the text to be linked (or place the cursor in the word
to be linked if it's just one word), and run the macro.

Also, in Word 97, there is no "Text to Display" feature in the Insert
Hyperlink dialog box.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry wrote:
What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or
text?

Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of
the document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn
into that link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill
appear, but they will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I
do this in various ways, but I'm wondering how other people do it.

Thanks.
Larry

In case you've overlooked it, recent versions of Word also give you the
ability to define ScreenTip (mouseover) text for your hyperlinks, which can
be helpful. For example, if your display text is "Click here" or "This Web
site," and the target is of course the URL, then you can write a descriptive
ScreenTip to identify the target site (I believe this also becomes the
alternate text in a browser using a screen reader).

Larry wrote:
What is the preferred way of assigning a hyperlink to a word or
text?

Say you've got a link pasted into a document, something like
http://www.webpage.com , and you also have, on the same page of
the document, the text "this web page" which you want to turn
into that link, so that the words "this web page" will stiill
appear, but they will be a hyperlink instead of regular text. I
do this in various ways, but I'm wondering how other people do it.

Thanks.
Larry

Hyperlink Toggle to Insert/Remove Detailed Text Russ Microsoft Word Help 1 May 2nd 05 11:10 PM
wildcard find spanning the text of hyperlink Makhtar Microsoft Word Help 2 April 15th 05 07:28 PM
Numbers to appear at the cursor... ~D~ New Users 11 February 1st 05 04:49 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Hyperlink Text Format Two Mariann Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 10:36 PM