Vincent

Default Customised toolbar disappearing

I have a similar problem: My cusomized toolbars do stick - indeed. Until I
for some/any/whatever reason lose my Normal.dot file.
Not a total disaster: I've learned to back up my macros, my VBA projects and
such. However - any customized/created Toolbar I've have running - disapear.
I have to create new ones. This is annoying - indeed.
Any way to backup my toolbars?

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I create a
customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When I shut down my
machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all gone. And I have
to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I keep the toolbar settings of my
choice.

TIA

Vincent

Ah if that were the case - so easy things would be. However - in the real
world, things aren't.
They don't stick in normal.dot. No matter how many times I backup this file
- they just dont.
Nor do some other customizations: like all the macros I've implemented. But
that is OK, you can backup these - one by one if so desired.
Other things like Autotext n such - I don't know so much about, I never use
them, but then again - there are tools built in the program to
backup/transpose these settings...

Toolbars - alas. Remain unbackable.

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I create a
customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When I shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all gone.
And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I keep the
toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Graham Mayor

Custom toolbars are stored in templates and documents - by default they are
stored in normal.dot. You indicated in your original post that if you lose
your normal.dot file that the toolbars are lost. This would suggest that
yours are stored in the default place. If normal.dot is deleted or removed
for whatever reason, Word will build a new default normal.dot without the
personalisations. You would need to replace this with your customised copy.

The standard toolbars are stored in the registry.

Vincent wrote:
I have a similar problem: My cusomized toolbars do stick - indeed.
Until I
for some/any/whatever reason lose my Normal.dot file.
Not a total disaster: I've learned to back up my macros, my VBA
projects and such. However - any customized/created Toolbar I've
have running - disappear. I have to create new ones. This is annoying

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I
create a customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When I
shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all
gone. And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I
keep the toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Vincent

Ok €“ Ill try to explain myself once again.
1. I have no problem with the concept of normal.dot,
nor using backing it up for that matter.
2. I never have any template stored in its default place.
Not even at my homebased computer would I do that.
Computers crash €“ all the time. At work the network-OP (guess what €“ not
from Microsoft) derives me of my settings from time to time €“ this gives me
45 minutes work to restore.
3. I know of Normal.Dot, what it does, what its supposed to do and what it
doesnt do€¦
4. Not only do €œmy own€ toolbars cease to exist, my own customized shortcuts
vanish as well.
5. Replacing the new normal.dot with an old fully functioning one does solve
the problem €“ at times. But this remains being a workaround, not something I
can show to other users. Not something to implement in an organisation.
There seems to be no solution to this, guess ill just have to €œgrin and bear
it€

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I
create a customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When I
shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all
gone. And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I
keep the toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Graham Mayor

If your network configuration causes the normal.dot file to be replaced,
then you need to change the network setting that causes this. It may be
better if you moved your personal toolbars etc to a global add-in - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Template_Locations.htm.
See also http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

Vincent wrote:
Ok - I'll try to explain myself once again.
1. I have no problem with the concept of normal.dot,
nor using backing it up for that matter.
2. I never have any template stored in its default place.
Not even at my homebased computer would I do that.
Computers crash - all the time. At work the network-OP (guess what -
not from Microsoft) derives me of my settings from time to time -
this gives me 45 minutes work to restore.
3. I know of Normal.Dot, what it does, what its supposed to do and
what it doesn't do.
4. Not only do "my own" toolbars cease to exist, my own customized
shortcuts vanish as well.
5. Replacing the new normal.dot with an old fully functioning one
does solve the problem - at times. But this remains being a
workaround, not something I can show to other users. Not something to
implement in an organisation. There seems to be no solution to this,
guess ill just have to "grin and bear it"

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I
create a customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When
I shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all
gone. And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I
keep the toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Vincent

See €“ this is what I what I looked/asked for from the beginning. Only €“ I
have yet to learn to formulate i.e. pinpoint €œthe problem€. Without even
reading the links provided!
Im quite sure I've come to solution.
Thanks

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I
create a customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When
I shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all
gone. And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I
keep the toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Charles Kenyon

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Vincent" wrote in message
See - this is what I what I looked/asked for from the beginning. Only - I
have yet to learn to formulate i.e. pinpoint "the problem". Without even

"asif" skrev:

I use Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 in a domain enviornment. I
create a customized toolbar of my choice for my daily work. When
I shut down
my machine and come back next day, that toolbar setting is all
gone. And I have to recreate the tool bar everyday.. How Can I
keep the toolbar settings of my choice.

TIA

Ei Vi

I have a similar problem with Asif's.
Fortunately, I do not have to re-customize everytime I start up.
I am puzzled that after a lapse of perhaps several months, my toolbar
settings are suddenly restored to default.
What could have possibly trigger the restoration? And is there anyway I
could save my customized setting (make it default?) so that I may retrive it?

EV