Andy

Default Update Style to Match Selection

Is there a command (or what is the default keyboard shortcut) to
Update a Style to Match Selection? This would be the same thing as
clicking the downarrow next to the style in the Styles & Formatting
Pane and selecting "Update to Match Selection". I'd like to either
add this to my right-click menu or assign a keyboard shortcut but I
can't find the command.

TIA,

Andy

Herb Tyson [MVP]

The command is RedefineStyle. I use this one quite frequently (I have it
assigned to Ctrl+Shift+D, whose original assignment, double underline, I
never need).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Andy" wrote in message
Is there a command (or what is the default keyboard shortcut) to
Update a Style to Match Selection? This would be the same thing as
clicking the downarrow next to the style in the Styles & Formatting
Pane and selecting "Update to Match Selection". I'd like to either
add this to my right-click menu or assign a keyboard shortcut but I
can't find the command.

TIA,

Andy

Andy

The command is RedefineStyle. I use this one quite frequently (I have it
assigned to Ctrl+Shift+D, whose original assignment, double underline, I
never need).

Thanks Herb!

Andy

Greg

Herb,

You appear to have satisfied Andy.

I can't find the command that displays the Modify Style dialog that
presents the user with the option to reapply or update. Does such a
thing exist?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Hi, Greg,

The command you seek is FormatStyleModify.

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Herb,

You appear to have satisfied Andy.

I can't find the command that displays the Modify Style dialog that
presents the user with the option to reapply or update. Does such a
thing exist?

If I'm interpreting your question correctly, in Word 2002 and 2003, check
the box for "Prompt to update style" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.
Herb's answer is correct if you're actually looking for the command to open
the Modify Style dialog.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Herb,

You appear to have satisfied Andy.

I can't find the command that displays the Modify Style dialog that
presents the user with the option to reapply or update. Does such a
thing exist?

Andy

The command you seek is FormatStyleModify.

I have a shortcut key for that, but the one I end up using the most is
the key assigned to the one line macro:

Word.Dialogs(wdDialogFormatDefineStylePara).Show

because that's the one I usually want to jump right to.

Andy

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Ah. *That* "Modify Style" dialog. While you can use the Prompt option to
force it under some circumstances, I don't believe there is a built-in
command to trigger the particular box Greg asked about. I've looked and
didn't find a VBA approach either, either.

You'd only ever want to see that dialog if it contained a style variant, in
which case, you could create a macro to apply the current base/unmodified
style, which would then trigger that dialog (unless the base style is
Normal, in which case the Modify Style dialog refuses to appear).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If I'm interpreting your question correctly, in Word 2002 and 2003, check
the box for "Prompt to update style" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.
Herb's answer is correct if you're actually looking for the command to
open
the Modify Style dialog.

so
all may benefit.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Herb,

You appear to have satisfied Andy.

I can't find the command that displays the Modify Style dialog that
presents the user with the option to reapply or update. Does such a
thing exist?

Greg Maxey

Herb,

I couldn't find one either. Thanks.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Ah. *That* "Modify Style" dialog. While you can use the Prompt option
to force it under some circumstances, I don't believe there is a
built-in command to trigger the particular box Greg asked about. I've
looked and didn't find a VBA approach either, either.

You'd only ever want to see that dialog if it contained a style
variant, in which case, you could create a macro to apply the current
base/unmodified style, which would then trigger that dialog (unless
the base style is Normal, in which case the Modify Style dialog
refuses to appear).
If I'm interpreting your question correctly, in Word 2002 and 2003,
check the box for "Prompt to update style" on the Edit tab of Tools
| Options. Herb's answer is correct if you're actually looking for
the command to open
the Modify Style dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Herb,

You appear to have satisfied Andy.

I can't find the command that displays the Modify Style dialog that
presents the user with the option to reapply or update. Does such a
thing exist?

Andy

If Andy was just looking for a way to make it appear when appropriate,
however, the "Prompt" setting will do the trick.

I like being able to RedefineStyle, updating the style to include the
direct change I just made and seeing all the paragraphs with that
style be updated.

I've never been able to make that dialog box you all are talking about
appear (Word 2002). Checking or unchecking the "Prompt to Update
Style" doesn't seem to work.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

To make the dialog appear, with the option checked, try this:

1. Apply a style OTHER THAN NORMAL to a paragraph.

2. Make a paragraph level change to the formatting (e.g., if it's
left-aligned, click the center button on the toolbar).

3. Use the Style box to apply the current style (i.e., if the style box
shows Heading 1 + Centered, then apply a plain Heading 1, without the +
Centered).

You should now be prompted.

The irritating thing about this is that it won't let you redefine Normal. If
you apply Normal, it will in fact just reapply Normal, without prompting. I
suppose this is to keep the user from shooting himself/herself in the foot
(e.g., as might be the case if all other styles are based on Normal, and
doing this would reformat the entire document). However, it's my foot.
That's what the Undo feature is for. ;-)

RedefineStyle, on the other hand, recognizes that it's your foot, and lets
you use it for target practice if you're so inclined.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Andy" wrote in message
If Andy was just looking for a way to make it appear when appropriate,
however, the "Prompt" setting will do the trick.

I like being able to RedefineStyle, updating the style to include the
direct change I just made and seeing all the paragraphs with that
style be updated.

I've never been able to make that dialog box you all are talking about
appear (Word 2002). Checking or unchecking the "Prompt to Update
Style" doesn't seem to work.

Andy

Well that works, although I swear it didn't earlier!

But I never tried it by applying the style from the Style box, which
does work. And now it works if I apply the style from the Style &
Formatting Pane, but it didn't the first time I tried it (could
applying the style from the style box start it working? seems
unlikely).

But it doesn't work if I apply a style with a hotkey, which is how I
apply styles 95% of the time.

Doesn't matter, I don't like that option anyway g.

Thanks Herb.

Andy