bsong2002

Default how to keep all letters of a word together in a single line

I opened an old file of mine and was working on it when all of sudden the
document changed subtely and all of the words on the edges of the paragraphs
were broken. So that, a word "solution" that was the last of word of a line
was broken into "Solut" which stay on the line and the remaining letters
"ion" appeared on the next line. Every single words at the edge of the
paragraphs were like that. Does anybody know how to fix this mess?
Opinicus

"bsong2002" wrote in
message
I opened an old file of mine and was working on it when all
of sudden the
document changed subtely and all of the words on the edges
of the paragraphs
were broken. So that, a word "solution" that was the last
of word of a line
was broken into "Solut" which stay on the line and the
remaining letters
"ion" appeared on the next line. Every single words at
the edge of the
paragraphs were like that. Does anybody know how to fix
this mess?

It *sounds* like you turned automatic hyphenation on.
(Except that "solution" should be hyphenated before the
"t".) Try this:

Tools Language Hyphenation

And if there's a check mark before "Automatically hyphenate
document", remove it then click OK.

There may be a keystroke combination that toggles
hyphenation and you may have inadvertently activated it.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

This will happen when Word does not recognize the document font as one used
for text. If the font is coded as a "decorative" or "symbol" font (like
Symbol or Wingdings), Word thinks it can break lines anywhere. Do you still
see this problem if you select the entire document and apply Times New Roman
or Arial?

"bsong2002" wrote in message
I opened an old file of mine and was working on it when all of sudden the
document changed subtely and all of the words on the edges of the

paragraphs
were broken. So that, a word "solution" that was the last of word of a

line
was broken into "Solut" which stay on the line and the remaining letters
"ion" appeared on the next line. Every single words at the edge of the
paragraphs were like that. Does anybody know how to fix this mess?

ddlabens ddlabens is offline
Junior Member

I have a document I created on my PC. I edited it on an Android. When I opened it back up on my PC, all the words at the ends of the lines are split wherever the letters do not fit.

I changed the font from the original to Arial, and that did not make any difference. I changed the hyphenation and that did not make a difference. If I add spaces in the middle of the line, it pushes the next letter at the end to the next line & splits the word there.

Unfortunately, I have to use MS-Word, or I would never have installed it on my PC. So, I need a solution that actually works. Any suggestion will be appreciated - ESPECIALLY if it works.

Thank you,
David
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post