Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Max :)

Default Graphic & Envelope

I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but when I print
it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope usually prints on a
regular sheet of paper... the graphic and addresses print fine on the regular
sheet of paper... but they never print on the envelope... Sometimes the
envelope passes through the printer & gets the addresses only without the
graphic... and other times nothing shows up on the envelope at all....but
everything gets printed on a seperate sheet of regular paper...

any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

This could be simply attributable to poor envelope handling by the printer,
but see if http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm helps.

Max wrote:
I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but when
I print it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope usually
prints on a regular sheet of paper... the graphic and addresses print
fine on the regular sheet of paper... but they never print on the
envelope... Sometimes the envelope passes through the printer & gets
the addresses only without the graphic... and other times nothing
shows up on the envelope at all....but everything gets printed on a
seperate sheet of regular paper...

any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

You are, of course, adjusting the printer's feed
mechanism lever to account for the fact that you're
printing envelopes and not sheets of paper, right?
Virtually all printers have a control--usually a lever--
to adjust the printer's feed for the thickness of the
paper or envelope.

Your printer should be able to handle envelopes
fine, provided that you adjusted the feed to process
envelopes, and provided that you are not overloading
the envelope feeder, and provided that you don't
stuff the envelope with cards or materials before
printing.

Consult your printer's manual for specifics on processing
envelopes. And when you're through printing envelopes,
don't forget to reset the printer's feed control back to
the paper setting.

Max wrote:
I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but when
I print it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope usually
prints on a regular sheet of paper... the graphic and addresses print
fine on the regular sheet of paper... but they never print on the
envelope... Sometimes the envelope passes through the printer & gets
the addresses only without the graphic... and other times nothing
shows up on the envelope at all....but everything gets printed on a
seperate sheet of regular paper...

any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

'Virtually all' is overstating things as neither of my printers have such a
lever, but the point is a good one. The fact remains that some printers have
problems feeding envelopes

Max wrote:
I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but
when I print it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope
usually prints on a regular sheet of paper... the graphic and
addresses print fine on the regular sheet of paper... but they
never print on the envelope... Sometimes the envelope passes
through the printer & gets the addresses only without the
graphic... and other times nothing shows up on the envelope at
all....but everything gets printed on a seperate sheet of regular
paper... any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Perhaps "lever" was a poor choice of words. The majority
of inkjet printers do have a paper "adjustment mechanism"
(whether a lever or a slide adjustor) to allow for envelopes
or normal papers. When I sold printers at a bigbox computer
store, all the inkjet printers (Canon, Epson, HP, and
Lexmark) did have a paper adjustment mechanism.

Can't speak to laser printers. It's been so long since I
examined a laser printer...they probably have an adjustment
mechanism, too.

HP printers have had a reputation for difficulty in
processing envelopes (especially large Christmas card
type envelopes) because of its fairly unique approach
of feeding paper in the front and pulling it over and through.
I much prefer the much simpler rear feed down-'n-out path
of Canon, Epson, and Lexmark.

Personally, jammed the printer the first time trying to use
envelopes because I failed to move the adjustment lever
to the envelope position. The printer did not appreciate
the error. Learned my lesson.

Max wrote:
I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but
when I print it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope
usually prints on a regular sheet of paper... the graphic and
addresses print fine on the regular sheet of paper... but they
never print on the envelope... Sometimes the envelope passes
through the printer & gets the addresses only without the
graphic... and other times nothing shows up on the envelope at
all....but everything gets printed on a seperate sheet of regular
paper... any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

HP LaserJets have no such mechanism that I am aware of. My LJ4 (which fed
from the side) handled #12 envelopes without difficulty; the LJ 4100, which
wants to feed envelopes from the center, just can't handle #12s at all: if
fed from the center, they are printed in the wrong place; if fed from the
side, they jam. sigh

Max wrote:
I have put my logo graphic on to an envelope in Word 2000... but
when I print it.... it never prints on the envelope...the envelope
usually prints on a regular sheet of paper... the graphic and
addresses print fine on the regular sheet of paper... but they
never print on the envelope... Sometimes the envelope passes
through the printer & gets the addresses only without the
graphic... and other times nothing shows up on the envelope at
all....but everything gets printed on a seperate sheet of regular
paper... any ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

: HP printers have had a reputation for difficulty in
: processing envelopes (especially large Christmas card
: type envelopes) because of its fairly unique approach
: of feeding paper in the front and pulling it over and through.
: I much prefer the much simpler rear feed down-'n-out path
: of Canon, Epson, and Lexmark.
:
That must be really old experience. My old HP Laserjet 6P
I've had to many years, had a straight path, and so does my new
2550n. Both HP printers printed heavier stock than the Canon and
Epson inkjets I used.
Oh, and no laser I've ever seen had a thickness adjustment;
not necessary for laser designs.

Me things something's gotten out of order here; haven't seen a
laser yet without a straight thru path in it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

I was speaking strictly of inkjet printers. HP
inkjet printers do feed paper in from the front and
rolls paper up and out to a higher output tray.
Heavier stock such as envelopes and artistic
canvas have been known to hang in the feed
path.

I've printed envelopes and 100 weight white stock
using my Epson inkjet paper with no problems.

I've learned my lesson. From now on, I will be
EXACT in specifying whether I'm discussing ink
jet or laser printers. You can rest assured that
I won't discuss laser printers often because it's
been ten years since I last owned one.

"PopS" wrote in message ...
: HP printers have had a reputation for difficulty in
: processing envelopes (especially large Christmas card
: type envelopes) because of its fairly unique approach
: of feeding paper in the front and pulling it over and through.
: I much prefer the much simpler rear feed down-'n-out path
: of Canon, Epson, and Lexmark.
:
That must be really old experience. My old HP Laserjet 6P
I've had to many years, had a straight path, and so does my new
2550n. Both HP printers printed heavier stock than the Canon and
Epson inkjets I used.
Oh, and no laser I've ever seen had a thickness adjustment;
not necessary for laser designs.

Me things something's gotten out of order here; haven't seen a
laser yet without a straight thru path in it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Both my printers are Epson inkjets, and neither has such a lever. My old -
now deceased - Epson did however.

"PopS" wrote in message
HP printers have had a reputation for difficulty in
processing envelopes (especially large Christmas card
type envelopes) because of its fairly unique approach
of feeding paper in the front and pulling it over and through.
I much prefer the much simpler rear feed down-'n-out path
of Canon, Epson, and Lexmark.

That must be really old experience. My old HP Laserjet 6P
I've had to many years, had a straight path, and so does my new
2550n. Both HP printers printed heavier stock than the Canon and
Epson inkjets I used.
Oh, and no laser I've ever seen had a thickness adjustment;
not necessary for laser designs.

Me things something's gotten out of order here; haven't seen a
laser yet without a straight thru path in it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

My Epson 300, Epson 600, Epson C82, Epson 925, Epson 4600, and
Epson 4800 inkjets have had such levers. Mine do, yours don't.

Dem's the breaks.

Oh, well. I tire of this subject. Let's retire it.

"PopS" wrote in message
HP printers have had a reputation for difficulty in
processing envelopes (especially large Christmas card
type envelopes) because of its fairly unique approach
of feeding paper in the front and pulling it over and through.
I much prefer the much simpler rear feed down-'n-out path
of Canon, Epson, and Lexmark.

That must be really old experience. My old HP Laserjet 6P
I've had to many years, had a straight path, and so does my new
2550n. Both HP printers printed heavier stock than the Canon and
Epson inkjets I used.
Oh, and no laser I've ever seen had a thickness adjustment;
not necessary for laser designs.

Me things something's gotten out of order here; haven't seen a
laser yet without a straight thru path in it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Max :)

Thanks all...

I kept restarting from scratch... several times before I posted...

then I just kept restarting from scratch...even after I posted...

I'm not sure why it would not work. I tried it dozens of
times/variations...both the setup in word and the actual printing... [must
have rushed through some & got confused]

and when I looked for better instructions on web I found you folks...

anyway... I got it to work...with your expert assistance...

thanks again... have good week

Max