Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Krappy keyboard

Default Wrong characters appear when striking keys.

I have an Acer laptop with windows XP. I cannot get correct symbols, as
displayed on the keys, when I hold down shift and the key simultaneously. For
example - shift+3 should give a pounds sterling symbol, I get # and shift+'
should give at symbol, I get " shift+2 should give speech marks (as previous
for at symbol), I get @ symbol instead!! It is driving me nuts. What can I
do? Can anyone help please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Change the keyboard layout under the Regional and Language Options item in
the Control Panel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Krappy keyboard" Krappy wrote in
message ...
I have an Acer laptop with windows XP. I cannot get correct symbols, as
displayed on the keys, when I hold down shift and the key simultaneously.
For
example - shift+3 should give a pounds sterling symbol, I get # and
shift+'
should give at symbol, I get " shift+2 should give speech marks (as
previous
for at symbol), I get @ symbol instead!! It is driving me nuts. What can I
do? Can anyone help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

You have Windows Regional settings configured to use a US keyboard. Change
it to a UK keyboard pattern. I'll bet you have all the regional settings to
US defaults. Change then to UK (or wherever) while you are there.