Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Backup of All Documents Backup of All Documents is offline

Default How do I back up all my documents onto floppies?

I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Backup of All Documents Backup of All Documents is offline

I do not have ANY backup software (except Juno Backup Wizard for Juno
e-mail). I have Windows XP. Any suggestions?

wrote in message
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do

this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

Windows XP Pro has Backup installed. Windows XP Home may have the Windows
backup program on the Installation disk, but it is not a part of the normal
install. See: "HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home
Edition" he
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q302894 If you are
unsuccessful in locating the program you can download it he
http://www.myscacc.org/Forms/ntbackup.msi Floppies?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This will depend on what backup software you're using and has nothing to
do
with Word.

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do

this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Although not specifically aimed at this task, Microsoft's SyncToy makes a
fine job of backing up data
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/synctoy.mspx
though please don't use floppies. Get a USB flash drive.

Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are
the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Copy to the hard disc and work on the document from there.

This is equally relevant to other removable media such as CDRW and Flash
drives.

Backup of All Documents wrote:
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do
this? (Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Backup of All Documents Backup of All Documents is offline

I have Windows XP Pro but cannot find Backup (including doing a search but
not knowing which of the backups that were found is The One). Online
directions take me into Control Panel, Accessories, but then I don't find
anything the directions tell me to click onto. Thanks for all your help.

wrote in message
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do
this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you read the referenced article on installing the backup accessory?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This will depend on what backup software you're using and has nothing

do
with Word.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I

do
this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Backup of All Documents Backup of All Documents is offline

The referenced article refers to installing the backup accessory on XP Home.
I have XP Pro, which I have been told here already has backup installed.
That is where I am stuck. Thank you.

wrote in message
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I

do
this?
(Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlm1953 jlm1953 is offline

I have a slightly different problem. Everytime I create a document in
office, it creates a back up. I think I created this somehow when fooling
with my settings, but now I don't know how to get rid of it. It is jamming
up my memory. Thoughts

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Although not specifically aimed at this task, Microsoft's SyncToy makes a
fine job of backing up data
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/synctoy.mspx
though please don't use floppies. Get a USB flash drive.

Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are
the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Copy to the hard disc and work on the document from there.

This is equally relevant to other removable media such as CDRW and Flash
drives.

Backup of All Documents wrote:
I want to create a backup of all my documents each week. How do I do
this? (Searching for "backup" has not helped.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That is controlled by the option "Always create backup copy" in the Tools
Options Save dialog (in Word 2007, Office button Word Options Advanced
Save).

You have a couple of misconceptions, though: The backup is not saved when you
create a document, it's made each time you save *after* the first save (it's
just a renamed copy of the file as it was before you hit the Save button, so it
isn't the same as the latest copy). The backup does not "jam up your memory"; at
worst it clutters the hard drive a little, and you can delete the backups at any
time.

Most important, though, if you turn off the backups in a misguided attempt to
run "clean", the day will come when you'll mess up a document and wish you had a
backup.

A better backup (and a real copy of the current file, not a one-version-back)
can be made with fellow MVP Graham Mayor's macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm. One of the things it does is to
save the backups to a different folder than the document's location, which means
you won't have to see them unless you go looking for one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman