Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Default default bullet

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word 2007. I
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed by our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's "new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips on how
to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Save the bullet formatting to a paragraph style and save that style to the
document template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word 2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's "new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Thanks, but that does not change the default bullet. When I do this, I need
to insert a new bullet (which will be a black dot) and then manually change
the style, right?

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word 2007. I
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed by our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's "new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips on how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, the idea is to apply the bullet formatting to text by applying a
paragraph style modified to include the desired bullet formatting.

For example, you can use one of Word's built-in bullet styles, List Bullet,
as a starting point. In the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S), type List
Bullet. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog box, click
Format, and then click Numbering. Click the Bullets tab. Choose the desired
bullet (or use Define New Bullet if you don't see the bullet you want). When
you are done click OK to confirm the settings (which takes you back to the
Modify Style dialog box).

To transfer the modified style to the attached template, use the "New
documents based on this template" option in the Modify Style dialog box
before clicking OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word 2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's "new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Thanks Stefan. I get it to work in a doc (pops up with "List Paragraph" when
I insert a bullet and then CTRL+SHFT+S). However, when I close this word doc
and open a new one, the black dot returns... This is with the "New documents
based on this template" ticked.

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word 2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's "new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which style are you changing? If you are trying to change List Paragraph, I
would advise against it. For some reason, List Paragraph behaves
unpredictably (especially with indentation).

If you cannot successfully transfer List Bullet or a custom paragraph style
to the attached template, try opening the template directly (via the Open
dialog box) and make the modification directly. Does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Thanks but nope. Went into the normal.dotm and made the change to the list
bullet. This seemed to work ok in the normal.dotm document, but when I
saved, close and opened a new document, the little black dot raised its ugly
head!

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik K Fredrik K is offline

Hi!

I´ve got the same problem as Robin. I´ve tried changing List Paragraph, List
Bullet and even List in Normal.dotx to my own fine square, red dot but when I
open a New document the (right Robin) ugly little black dot is there again.

Fredrik

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet, it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As I wrote, the List Paragraph style cannot be used to modify settings for
numbers or bullets.

How are you changing the List Bullet style in normal.dotm?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style
menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet,
it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step
tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik K Fredrik K is offline

I´m trying to change it in Normal.dotx both in the Ctrl+Shift and
Alt+Ctrl+Shift panes, being careful checking the "New documents based on this
template" box. It works in the actual Normal.dotx but not when I open a new
document based on the template.

Fredrik

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style
menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new bullet,
it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by step
tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if you actually have a file called normal.dotx (with the dotX
extension), that is *not* the blank document template, which has the dotM
extension.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style
menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new
bullet,
it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by
step
tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik K Fredrik K is offline

I´ve tried the Normal.dotm too. Same problem. I´ve also tried making a new
template Letter.dotx and applying the changes there. But with the same
problems opening a new document based on that specific template. The default
bullet is the old black dot.

Fredrik

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets right for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via the style
menu's
"new
documents based on this template". When I click on a new
bullet,
it
reverts
back to the round dot. Please can someone give me step by
step
tips
on
how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What do you mean by "the default bullet"? Word really doesn't have anything
like that. After you've changed, say, the List Bullet style you will have to
explicitly apply it to the text that you want bulleted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik K Fredrik K is offline

Sorry, what I mean is this: When one of our users wants to make a list they
usually select the text or place the cursor in it and then either right-click
and choose Bullet list or choose Bullet list from the Paragraph section in
the ribbon. And that's when the black dot (default) bulllet list appears.
Most of them doesn't know how or wants to choose a specific Style from the
style sections of the ribbon or a pane to format their documents. It should
be like that, I know.

Fredrik

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you create a macro that applies the style to the selection, and attach
that macro to a button on the Quick Access Toolbar, it will be a little
easier for users. A very simple macro is the following:

Sub ApplyMyBulletStyle()
On Error Resume Next
Selection.Style = wdStyleListBullet
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Note that if you want something a little more "advanced," you can use the
following macro, which can be used to turn numbering on and off (based on
the settings for the first paragraph in the selection):

Sub ToggleMyBulletStyle()

If Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style.NameLocal = _
ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleListBullet).NameLocal Then
Selection.Style = wdStyleNormal
Else
Selection.Style = wdStyleListBullet
End If

End Sub

The macro turns off numbering by applying the Normal style to text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

I am having the same problem. I did the following, which is from another
post, and it doesn't work:
The principles still apply, but the methods are a bit different. To apply
bullet formatting to a paragraph, you can apply the built-in List Bullet
style. Use the Apply Styles pane to do that: Press Ctrl+Shift+S. In the
"Style name" box, type List Bullet, and then click Apply. You can modify the
bulleted style the same way you modify any style, for example, via the
Styles task pane (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S).

If you want a multilevel list of bullets, set it up via Home tab |
Multilevel List | Define New List Style. For each level, pick a bulleted
symbol in the list box (or click New Bullet to specify a custom one). You
can still assign each level of the list to a paragraph style via the Modify
Multilevel List dialog box (which can be displayed via Format button,
Numbering).
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Every time I do all the work of formatting it via the dialog boxes, it
reverts all bullets to the black bullet (yes, there IS a default bullet, and
that is it) and I lose all my indents.

In my opinion, this is just one more instance of horrible Microsoft
programming. I am no dummy, and Word 2000 worked just fine, I am thoroughly
capable using Publisher 2007, but Word 2007 is a piece of junk! I have
disabled the automatic bulleted lists, I have tried using "Save as a
Microsoft [insert your favorite version] document," all to no avail. I have
accessed the dialog box via the way outlined above, via styles and via
something else. NOTHING WORKS!!!

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When does the bullet formatting go wrong? Immediately as you exit the
multilevel list dialog box? When you reopen the document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

Immediately as I exit. And if I have added what I have done as a named
style, if I click to apply that style, I get the same thing--a single-level,
black-bullet list.

"Robin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

I wrote that I got the list to work. Yes, I got it to work in exactly one
document. When I copy that bulleted list over to a new doc, it keeps the
style. But as soon as I save it to the list library and click on the properly
formatted it list, it converts the list to a two-level (instead of 5-level)
list.

"Robin" wrote:

Hi. I am really struggling to get my default bullets
right
for
Word
2007.
get the bullet to look right (its a fancy wingding
star as
prescribed
by
our
marketing guys) but I cannot change the default via
the
style
menu's
"new

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that you cannot change levels either? If so, it seems as if
you have created a single-level list rather than a multi-level one.

Did you follow the instructions to link each level of the list style to a
paragraph style?

Note that copying bulleted (and numbered) lists has been difficult in Word
since (at least) Word 97. Instead, you should create your (bulleted and
numbered) lists in a template, and then create documents from that template.
This is the easiest way to (re-)use style-based formatting in Word. Also,
once you have a template, you can easily reformat an existing document B by
inserting it into a newly created document A (which is based on your
template).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP