Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaymond Flurrie Jaymond Flurrie is offline

Default .wiz file

In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold VBA code
inside?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond wrote in
message ...
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] is offline

This is school work, but it's not just a question. I'm writing a report about
VBE, and I have a list of all the Word document types and their behavior with
VBA code. So far the list looks something like this:

..docx is normal Word 2007 file type and it can't include VBA code.
..dotx is Word 2007 template file type and it can't include VBA code.
..docm is normal Word 2007 file type that is supposed to include VBA code.
..dotm is Word 2007 template file type that can't include VBA code.
..doc is normal Word 97-2003 file type.
..dot is Word 97-2003 template file type.

..docm and .dotm do not necessarily include VBA code, but the purpose of
having .docm and .dotm file types instead of .dotx and .docx is that they can
include VBA code, so it's likely there is some VBA code.

..doc and .dot might include VBA code, but it is impossible to say without
checking it from inside the file itself.

Now I do know that there is a .wiz file, but when did it exist and were you
able to save VBA code to it?

Is this list otherwise complete? What were the file types before Word 97,
and were those capable of including VBA code?

The source for my information is Word 2007 Bible, written by Herb Tyson.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond wrote in
message ...
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] is offline

Seem like I got that list messed up. Didn't realize this is not a normal
forum where editing messages can be done just like that.

So the real list should of course say that both .dotm and .docm can include
VBA code.

Sorry for messing up the list.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond wrote in
message ...
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A .wiz file is a Microsoft Wizard. My understanding is that mere mortals
cannot create them, at least not easily, but inasmuch as their
distinguishing characteristic is usually a series of UserForms, I would
think it's safe to say that they contain VBA (or other) code. I don't recall
how far back wizards were introduced, but there are wizards that ship with
every version of Word through 2003; Word 2007 has no wizards.

"Jaymond Flurrie" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond wrote in
message ...
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can certainly create a template that does much the same thing as a
wizard; I think the hitch comes in trying to save it with a .wiz extension.
But I could be making this up.

"Jaymond Flurrie" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond wrote in
message ...
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files hold
VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Interestingly although not included with Word 2007 wizards will still work
with that application as they are simply a type of template. You can open a
wiz file in Word to examine and edit the macro code it contains.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this a homework question?

"Jaymond Flurrie" Jaymond
wrote in message
In which Word versions .wiz file is in use and can .wiz files
hold VBA
code
inside?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] Jaymond Flurrie[_2_] is offline

So what would be your answer to "In which versions of Word .wiz files exists
and can there be VBA code inside"?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Interestingly although not included with Word 2007 wizards will still work
with that application as they are simply a type of template. You can open a
wiz file in Word to examine and edit the macro code it contains.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sandypeter111[_2_] sandypeter111[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I am not sure but as my knowledge i write it please check it.
.dotm is Word 2007 template file type that can't include VBA code.
..doc is normal Word 97-2003 file type.
..dot is Word 97-2003 template file type.
Thanks...........

--
sandypeter111
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

sandypeter111 wrote:
dotm is Word 2007 template file type that can't include VBA code.

No! that's dotX.
dotM is a macro enabled template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And none of this has anything to do with the original question.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
sandypeter111 wrote:
dotm is Word 2007 template file type that can't include VBA code.

No! that's dotX.
dotM is a macro enabled template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In regard to the last portion of your questions -

Before Word 97 the default file type for Word was also a ".doc", but it was, internally a different binary file format than the one
released for Word 97.

Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) was integrated into Word 97 as the successor for WordBasic (i.e. there was no VBA facility built
into earlier versions, but there was a 'BASIC' [Beginners's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code] capability in prior versions.
RTF (Rich Text Format) remains the other primary 'older' format for cross word processor/version file format for transportability.
RTF documents do not contain macros, so were, in a way, a partial equivalent for the present concept of differentiation of content
allowed between .docX and .docM document types.

As to whether VBA content can survive in a pre-Word97 .doc format you can test in Word 2003 by saving a Word document with VBA
content as
"Word 6.0/95 document .doc") format. Word 2007 no longer includes that format. It's save as 'Word97-2000 & 6.0/95' file type is
RTF.

.WIZ (Wizard) files were somewhat of a 'control hub' for a collection of templates and form controls, and their functionallity
often relied on multiple templates and even DLL files to be present to function properly. They are basically renamed .DOT template
files. As mentioned previously, Microsoft chose to discontinue them from Word 2007 (although some can still be downloaded from
http://office.microsoft.com/templates). Many will still function if you have all of the other 'parts' of the collection. An
exception is the Word Web Page Wizard which Microsoft turned off (in the program) starting with Word 2003. There were Wizards in
earlier Word versions as well, that used WordBasic and .ini files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118639

[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP