JDGuin

Default Restoring a deleted autotext entry in Word 2000

I accidentally deleted the autotext entry "Filename and path", found on the
"Header/Footer" submenu, from the Normal template. It does not exist on any
other template on my computer, so I cannot copy it back to the Normal
template.

A search of the knowledge base found Article 207925, which seems to address
the question, yet when I tried to follow the instructions I quickly became
hopelessly lost.

Can someone tell me how to get this entry back? Thanks.
Plug1945

JD...
If you are using XP, you go to the tool bar, click on
"insert/autotext/header footer/file name and path"

Hope that works for you.

"JDGuin" wrote:

I accidentally deleted the autotext entry "Filename and path", found on the
"Header/Footer" submenu, from the Normal template. It does not exist on any
other template on my computer, so I cannot copy it back to the Normal
template.

A search of the knowledge base found Article 207925, which seems to address
the question, yet when I tried to follow the instructions I quickly became
hopelessly lost.

Can someone tell me how to get this entry back? Thanks.

Charles Kenyon

First, try renaming normal.dot (with Word closed). Then reopen Word. Your AT
entry will be restored. You could then close Word, rename the new normal.dot
to backupnormal.dot and rename your original normal.dot back again.

However, I suspect that you copied some other file over the top of
normal.dot at some point and wiped out all of your AutoText. You do not want
to save any file as normal.dot, let Word create its own normal.dot and then
customize that if you need to do so.

See http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and questions to
the newsgroup so that others can learn from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"JDGuin" wrote in message
I accidentally deleted the autotext entry "Filename and path", found on the
"Header/Footer" submenu, from the Normal template. It does not exist on
any
other template on my computer, so I cannot copy it back to the Normal
template.

A search of the knowledge base found Article 207925, which seems to
address
the question, yet when I tried to follow the instructions I quickly became
hopelessly lost.

Can someone tell me how to get this entry back? Thanks.

Charles Kenyon

You are welcome. The real work was done by the people who wrote the FAQ
file.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.