Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ceallagh ceallagh is offline

Default any way to display custom quick parts before built ins in a galler

I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I know, you cannot do anything about the (default) sort of the
Quick Parts galleries.

I'd create the items as AutoTexts instead. You can easily insert an AutoText
entry by typing its name and pressing F3. Or you can attach a keyboard
shortcut to each of the relevant entries.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ceallagh" wrote:

I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Ceallagh,

The Quick tables gallery entries in Word 2007
Insert=Table=Quick Tables
generally displays b Gallery Category in alphabetical order.

If your Category
(in Insert=Quick Parts=Building Blocks Organizer)
is named 'My Tables', for example, it will appear after 'Built-in. (You can use Ctrl End to jump to the end of Quick Tables if
yours are on the bottom). If you assign the entries to a category you name
~My Quick Tables (or just ~Mine) they should appear ahead of the 'Built-In' list. You can also use naming sucha s
01. My Calendars,
02. My Matricies

etc as Category names and the numeric named entries should appear ahead of 'Built-in as well.

Note that in Stefan's reply he suggested saving the entry as an AutoText entry, however, to clarify, in Word 2007 Autotext, within
the Building Blocks is basically just another category building blocks category. A uniquely named Quick Table entry, for example
can also be inserted by typing the unique characters of the name and pressing F3. (i.e. it does not have to be in the 'Autotext'
category. You can insert Cover pages, as an example by typing the name of the built in entry (i.e. Pinstripes, and then using F3).
For Keyboard shortcuts
(Alt, T, O, C)=[Customize]
in the Keyboard dialog for 'AutoText' category it's more than just the 'AutoText' category, it's pretty much all of the building
blocks, so it can be a bit confusing.

In your example, if you regularly use one of the 'Built-in' styles for a quick table, you can Edit the properties for that style to
move it into the ~Mine
category rather than the 'Built-in' category.

===========
"ceallagh" wrote in message ...
I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Ceallagh,

The Quick tables gallery entries in Word 2007
Insert=Table=Quick Tables
generally displays b Gallery Category in alphabetical order.

If your Category
(in Insert=Quick Parts=Building Blocks Organizer)
is named 'My Tables', for example, it will appear after 'Built-in. (You can use Ctrl End to jump to the end of Quick Tables if
yours are on the bottom). If you assign the entries to a category you name
~My Quick Tables (or just ~Mine) they should appear ahead of the 'Built-In' list. You can also use naming sucha s
01. My Calendars,
02. My Matricies

etc as Category names and the numeric named entries should appear ahead of 'Built-in as well.

This is a good idea.

Note that in Stefan's reply he suggested saving the entry as an AutoText entry, however, to clarify, in Word 2007 Autotext, within
the Building Blocks is basically just another category building blocks category. A uniquely named Quick Table entry, for example
can also be inserted by typing the unique characters of the name and pressing F3. (i.e. it does not have to be in the 'Autotext'
category. You can insert Cover pages, as an example by typing the name of the built in entry (i.e. Pinstripes, and then using F3).

Thank you for clarifying this.

For Keyboard shortcuts
(Alt, T, O, C)=[Customize]
in the Keyboard dialog for 'AutoText' category it's more than just the 'AutoText' category, it's pretty much all of the building
blocks, so it can be a bit confusing.

This is contrary to my experience. I only see AutoText entries in the
Customize Keyboard dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ceallagh" wrote in message ...
I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

I have named all my personal QuickParts as (DR)Name. The "(" always sorts to
the top of the list so my QuickParts are always on top. (Works great for
file names as well).
--
Dave Robinson

"ceallagh" wrote in message ...
I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ceallagh" wrote in message ...
I want my own custom quick parts to show first, as I use them far more
frequently and don't want to scroll down for them. For example, in Quick
Tables, I want a (mostly) plain ol' table more often than a fancy blue
calendar. But I don't want to delete the calendar, either.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
news
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

For Keyboard shortcuts
(Alt, T, O, C)=[Customize]
in the Keyboard dialog for 'AutoText' category it's more than just the
'AutoText' category, it's pretty much all of the building
blocks, so it can be a bit confusing.

This is contrary to my experience. I only see AutoText entries in the
Customize Keyboard dialog box.

Actually, Bob, I'll have to take that back. I don't know what went wrong
previously when I tested this, but now it works exactly as you wrote in your
message.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Stefan,

The 'ability' to add keyboard shortcuts to pretty much any item in the galleries of the Quick Parts Organizer in Word 2007 seems to
be somewhere between a bug and a 'not quite cooked long enough' feature [or perhaps just something really odd on my machine g]

Start Word 2007 and

A. Straight away check

Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Customize Keyboard=Autotext

and you'll likely see only the 'Autotext' category items.

B. Next access either Insert=Cover Page or Insert=Quick Parts
and close it, then repeat step A. Has the list of AutoText items you can assign keyboard shortcuts too changed?

=============
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message news
For Keyboard shortcuts
(Alt, T, O, C)=[Customize]
in the Keyboard dialog for 'AutoText' category it's more than just the 'AutoText' category, it's pretty much all of the building
blocks, so it can be a bit confusing.

This is contrary to my experience. I only see AutoText entries in the
Customize Keyboard dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote in message

Hi Stefan,

The 'ability' to add keyboard shortcuts to pretty much any item in the
galleries of the Quick Parts Organizer in Word 2007 seems to
be somewhere between a bug and a 'not quite cooked long enough' feature
[or perhaps just something really odd on my machine g]

Start Word 2007 and

A. Straight away check

Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Customize Keyboard=Autotext

and you'll likely see only the 'Autotext' category items.

B. Next access either Insert=Cover Page or Insert=Quick Parts
and close it, then repeat step A. Has the list of AutoText items you can
assign keyboard shortcuts too changed?

Hi Bob,

I can definitely reproduce what you are seeing. Initially, only "real"
AutoText entries are displayed, and then, after inserting something from a
gallery (not necessarily a cover page, as you've probably noticed), I see a
longer list.

The names are interesting too... Instead of the usual (more or less)
descriptive names, some items have sequences of numbers and letters.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

=============
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
news
For Keyboard shortcuts
(Alt, T, O, C)=[Customize]
in the Keyboard dialog for 'AutoText' category it's more than just the
'AutoText' category, it's pretty much all of the building
blocks, so it can be a bit confusing.

This is contrary to my experience. I only see AutoText entries in the
Customize Keyboard dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Gentlemen,

This is definitely part-baked!

All available Building Blocks are shown in the Customize Autotext list.

If you have - at some point in your Word session - used any of the Building
Block Galleries (Quick Parts, Cover Pages, etc.), then one or more global BB
templates will have been opened behind the scenes, making many Building
Blocks available. If not, then all that will be available are any Building
Blocks in Normal.dotm or other of your own global templates or AddIns.

The long hex identifiers (GUIDs?) - or at least some of them - I think,
represent Content Controls within Building Blocks but, if used, only the
text is inserted and not the content controls themselves. I presume they
should not be in the list and I would expect them to disappear when the
feature is fully baked.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Stefan and Tony,

It appears that the guids are from \glossary\document.xml in the structure of the Building Block templates. Presumably, with a
little work (VBA?) Autotext/DocumentParts could be extracted from one file and written to another by manipulating the XML?

The 'Autotext' listing for keyboard shortcuts to more than just the AutoText category is from the QuickParts area being populated
the first time either QuickParts or one of the QuickPart galleries after starting Word (Building blocks don't load as part of Word
startup).

=========
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

Thank you for clarifying this.

--
Stefan Blom
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote in message
Hi Stefan and Tony,

It appears that the guids are from \glossary\document.xml in the
structure of the Building Block templates. Presumably, with a
little work (VBA?) Autotext/DocumentParts could be extracted from one file
and written to another by manipulating the XML?

Well, I'm sure someone could do it... :-)

Personally, I'm not at all familiar with XML, though.

The 'Autotext' listing for keyboard shortcuts to more than just the
AutoText category is from the QuickParts area being populated
the first time either QuickParts or one of the QuickPart galleries after
starting Word (Building blocks don't load as part of Word
startup).

Good point. When thinking about it, I realize that this is similar to how
styles behave in the Customize Keyboard dialog box. In a new document, only
a short list of styles is visible in the dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

=========

Quick Parts Vicky Microsoft Word Help 3 November 9th 07 08:36 PM
word quick parts Shaun Microsoft Word Help 1 October 15th 07 09:43 AM
Quick parts from MOSS Lp12 Microsoft Word Help 0 October 14th 07 10:03 AM
quick parts auto numbering Shelley V Microsoft Word Help 3 July 24th 07 12:38 PM
Quick parts MADS New Users 1 July 24th 06 11:55 AM