Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Default Help With Cross References

I am writing my thesis. I have main body text of the thesis and at the end I
have the references [bulleted (numbered)] to journal papers as shown below:-
.......effective in stabilizing the enzyme structure [4] Early sol€“gel
encapsulation of enzymes dates back to 1970s [5].......
[4].Mozhaev VV, Sergeeva MV, Belova AB, Khmelnitsky YL , Biotechnolgy and
Bioengineering, 1990, 35(7), pp 653-659
[5].Johnson P, Whateley T, Journal of Colloid Interface Science, 1971,37(3),
pp 557
I want to make a clickable (ctrl+left click) reference to the particular
journal paper at the end. I have done successfully this using cross
references.
Now if I want to change the number of the 5th reference ([5].Johnson P,
Whateley ...) to [6]th how do I make the reference number [5] in the main
body text (....dates back to 1970s [5].....) automatically change to [6]?? or
how do I update that?? I tried "update field" as well as ctrl+A & F9 in the
main body text but it would not change the number [5] to [6].
Or in other words I want the refernce at the end to kind of stick to the
corresponding text in the main body. So whatever number I change to the
reference at the end, the corresponding number in the main body should change
to that new number automatically.
Hope I was clear in my probelm.
Please help me. Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used auto numbering for the references list and a hyperlinked
cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference: Insert as hyperlink)
to the "Numbered item," it should update with F9.

--------------------

---------------------
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Dear Suzanne,
Thanks for the quick reply.
As I had mentioned in my problem that I had succesfully done the
hyperlinking thing exactly the way you have suggested. But the problem is it
does not update as I change the reference number (with F9 or "update field").
Its stays the same number in the body text on updating.

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have used auto numbering for the references list and a

hyperlinked
cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference: Insert as

hyperlink)
to the "Numbered item," it should update with F9.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Dear Suzanne,
I am not sure what do you mean by "auto numbering" in the references list.
I just typed in the reference list and numbered them using the "bullet"
function in the toolbar.
I am also not sure by what do you mean ".....until you accept all the
changes". When does it ask me to accept or not?? Is it during updating the
cross reference?? I have never seen any dialog box pop up asking me to accept
the changes or not while updating.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Numbering applied via the Numbering button is auto numbering, but it is far
from the best way to number anything important; you should instead be using
a numbered style. You are never "asked" to accept changes; it is something
you have to do voluntarily, but from the wording of your question I suspect
that you do not have Track Changes enabled. In any case, if your numbering
is auto (field) numbering and the cross-reference is being inserted as you
describe, then I can't imagine why you would be unable to update it with F9
unless it has been locked or unlinked. What does the cross-reference look
like when you press Alt+F9?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references

list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will

not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Dear Suzanne,
If I press Alt+F9 this is what I get in one of the cross references
{ REF _Ref153688591 \r \h }

I also tried enabling the "track changes" option but still after accepting
the changes and then updating the cross reference, it wouldn't update.

Let me tell you how I inserted the cross reference. I click on the proper
place in the body text where I want to insert a particular reference. I then
click "insert-reference-cross reference". In the dialog box in "reference
type", I select "numbered item". I check "insert as hyperlink". I leave
"insert reference to" as default "paragraph number". I leave "include
above/below" as unchecked. I select the particular reference from the list
"for which numbered item". Then I click "Insert" button.

Let me tell you again how I numbered the references. I typed in the
references. Then I selected them using the mouse and then clicked the
numbering button in the toolbar. They get numbered automatically. So now when
I type in a new reference it automatically gets a number according to its
position in the reference list and the other references below it get their
number incremented by one automatically.
So now if I update the cross references all the cross references
corresponding to the refernces that got their number incremented by one
should also get incremented by one (otherwise they would be pointing to wrong
references)

This is exactly what is happening. The cross refernces are not updating.
I made a table of contents (insert-reference-index and tables-table of
contents), table to figures for my thesis and it did update to whatever
changes I made. There was no problem at all. Only these refernces is creating
this problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references

list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will

not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You seem to have done everything correctly, so I am at a loss to explain
what is wrong unless the REF field is locked. Try selecting it and pressing
Ctrl+Shift+F11, then F9 again. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references

list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts

will
not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Damn that worked!! I was so frustrated with this.
What does Ctrl+Shift+F11 actually do?? Whats the magic in it??
Thank you so much.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You seem to have done everything correctly, so I am at a loss to explain
what is wrong unless the REF field is locked. Try selecting it and pressing
Ctrl+Shift+F11, then F9 again. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It unlocks a field that has been locked (using Ctrl+F11). Now the puzzling
question is how the field got locked in the first place, unless you pressed
Ctrl+F11 by mistake for some other shortcut key.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You seem to have done everything correctly, so I am at a loss to explain
what is wrong unless the REF field is locked. Try selecting it and

pressing
Ctrl+Shift+F11, then F9 again. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

I don't remember pressing (Ctrl+F11) anytime till today since I first started
using my computer. I don't have any program that has Crtl+F11 as any shortcut
key (also I can say that since Crl+F11 is such a rare shortcut key)
Also I tried doing the same in three other computers and all had the same
problem......all of them had the field locked too!! It seems that the field
is locked by default!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It unlocks a field that has been locked (using Ctrl+F11). Now the puzzling
question is how the field got locked in the first place, unless you pressed
Ctrl+F11 by mistake for some other shortcut key.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've never experienced having it locked by default, so I don't think that's
normal, but there's a good chance you'll never find out exactly what is
making this happen on your system. As long as you know how to fix it, that
may be the best you can get.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It unlocks a field that has been locked (using Ctrl+F11). Now the

puzzling
question is how the field got locked in the first place, unless you

pressed
Ctrl+F11 by mistake for some other shortcut key.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Ok.
Can I take the liberty to ask one more question which is bugging me??
I have a new paragraph with a heading (font is formatted as "heading 2") in
the middle of a page. Now I want to take that paragraph to the beginning of
I press "Enter" the paragraph goes down by one line. I keep pressing enter so
that it goes to the beginning of the next page. But many times it doesn't
goto the beginning of the next page but suddenly at some point it jumps to
the middle of the next page. So I press backspace so that it may goto back
the start of that new page but it again jumps back to some place in the
and what is the solution??

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It unlocks a field that has been locked (using Ctrl+F11). Now the

puzzling
question is how the field got locked in the first place, unless you

pressed
Ctrl+F11 by mistake for some other shortcut key.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The solution is not ever to use empty paragraphs to force something to the
paragraph as "Page break before." And any heading style should also be
formatted as "Keep with next" (Headings 1-4 have that formatting by
default).

"Smita" wrote in message
Ok.
Can I take the liberty to ask one more question which is bugging me??
I have a new paragraph with a heading (font is formatted as "heading 2")

in
the middle of a page. Now I want to take that paragraph to the beginning

of

time

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It unlocks a field that has been locked (using Ctrl+F11). Now the

puzzling
question is how the field got locked in the first place, unless you

pressed
Ctrl+F11 by mistake for some other shortcut key.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

Hay thanks Suzanne.
......format the paragraph as "Page break before."..... How do I do that??
You mean insert-break-break type-page break ??

......any heading style should also be formatted as "Keep with next".....You
said thats already there by default but if that wasn't the case how would you
do it??

"Smita" wrote in message
Ok.
Can I take the liberty to ask one more question which is bugging me??
I have a new paragraph with a heading (font is formatted as "heading 2")

in
the middle of a page. Now I want to take that paragraph to the beginning

of

time
I press "Enter" the paragraph goes down by one line. I keep pressing enter

so
that it goes to the beginning of the next page. But many times it doesn't
goto the beginning of the next page but suddenly at some point it jumps to
the middle of the next page. So I press backspace so that it may goto back
the start of that new page but it again jumps back to some place in the
and what is the solution??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Both "Page break before" and "Keep with next" are on the Line and Page
Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.

"Smita" wrote in message
Ok.
Can I take the liberty to ask one more question which is bugging me??
I have a new paragraph with a heading (font is formatted as "heading

2")
in
the middle of a page. Now I want to take that paragraph to the

beginning
of

Each
time
I press "Enter" the paragraph goes down by one line. I keep pressing

enter
so
that it goes to the beginning of the next page. But many times it

doesn't
goto the beginning of the next page but suddenly at some point it

jumps to
the middle of the next page. So I press backspace so that it may goto

back
the start of that new page but it again jumps back to some place in

happens
and what is the solution??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

That was cool!!
One more
During making the reference list I was numbering using the numbering button.
Now I want all the refernces to be lined in a straight line vertically. But
what happens is the references from 1 to 9 are lined up but the references
from number 10 onwards are moved to the right by a few spaces, then the
references from 100 up are moved to the right further. I tried changing the
parameters in "customize numbered list" in "Tab space after" as well as
"Indent at" but it messed it more. What is the right way to do it??

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Change the "Number position" from "Left" to "Right" to align on the period.
The other settings will be changed automatically, but you may need to tweak
them to get the appearance you want.

"Smita" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smita smita is offline

You are just amazing!! Thanks a lot
One more
I have formatted the heading and subheadings and sub sub headings of my
paragraphs as follows:
Heading - Heading 1 (should be numberd as 1)
Sub heading - Heading 2 (should be numbered as 1.1)
Sub sub heading - Heading 3 (should be numbered as 1.1.1)
Now I want them to number them automatically. But using the "numbering"
button and "Outline Numbered" option it wouldn't work. If the Heading 1 was
numbered 1, then the subheading (Heading 2) got the number 2 and not 1.1.
How should I do it correctly??