Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lana Gutnik Lana Gutnik is offline

Default Update TOC based on linked documents

I am just becoming a heavy Word user, and I need some help.
I need to be able to link different documents into a master doc., and update
TOC in the master doc. based on what document(s) I bring in.
Is it possible?

Thank you,
--
Lana Gutnik
MS Word new user
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that Word's master document feature is buggy. If you must keep separate
files, see this article:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=148 ("Creating
a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents").

Alternatively, insert the "subdocuments" as links into the "master"; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ldscontent.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lana Gutnik" wrote in message
I am just becoming a heavy Word user, and I need some help.
I need to be able to link different documents into a master doc., and
update
TOC in the master doc. based on what document(s) I bring in.
Is it possible?

Thank you,
--
Lana Gutnik
MS Word new user

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lana Gutnik Lana Gutnik is offline

Stefan,

Thank you for the info. But I finally found out what my manager wants me to
do.
EX: We have multiple templates that do not have headers, and are written
using the same style guide as our main doc. The first line in each subdoc. is
a TOC item. Depending on the project, a person will copy the main template
and additional specific documents from a shared drive to a local drive. Than,
they should be able to use a checkbox, a command button, etc. to insert
sub-doc(s), and make it one big document.
Is it possible? Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you,
Lana

--
Lana Gutnik