Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gordon Padwick Gordon Padwick is offline

Default Change Smart Quotes To Dumb Quotes

I'm working on a document that deals with Windows Presentation Foundation.
Many of the programming examples include text that is within quotation
marks, but these have to be ordinary quotation marks, not the smart
quotation marks that Word automatically creates.

I wrote much of the text before thinking that I should turn off Word's
automatic creation of smart quotation marks. Now, I need to edit the text so
that, within the programming examples, the smart quotation marks are changed
to ordinary quotation marks. So far, I haven't found a way to do that. After
turning off the automatic formatting capability for quotation marks, Word
refuses to convert the automatic smart quotation marks to ordinary quotation
marks.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this problem?

Also, there is the problem that, in the future, I would like Word's
automatic creation of smart quotation marks to be active within text
paragraphs, but inactive within text that represents program code. How would
I manage that?

Gordon