Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Tangard[_2_] Mark Tangard[_2_] is offline

Default Safer of 2 methods for very long doc

A user of mine will shortly build a very very long Word document with 2-column
text and many, many tables, all of them full-page-width and about one-half page
high.

I see 2 main ways to do this:

(1) Float each table, so that it displaces the text like a picture, OR:

(2) Place a section break before and after each table, make they section they
enclose a one-column layout, and have the table sit there "inline" rather than
floating.

After the file is assembled it'll be edited often, but not drastically, so ease
of editing & reformatting isn't an issue. And I'll probably write a macro for
her to do the inserting, so the number or complexity of steps won't be much an
obstacle. We're mainly concerned with the stability of what may be a very large
file.

Given that concern, which method would you choose? Is #2 more likely to have
problems because it'll have a large number of section breaks (which we all know
are evil incarnate)?

Also, up til now, due to bad experiences with the "positioning" feature in Word
tables long ago, I've always used frames to float tables. Is that any wiser?

Any opinions appreciated. Word 2003, WinXP.

MT