Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
magnus magnus is offline

Default APA style formatting with et. al.

Hi

There are a few discussions about citation and using et. al. instead of
multiple authors. But I can not find a satisfying answer for my question. I
wonder if there is any way that with using APA style get citations to
automatically use et. al. instead of multiple authors.

I want to have the second and later citations to have et al if the authors
are more than three.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 14 nov, 13:41, Magnus wrote:
Hi

There are a few discussions about citation and using et. al. instead of
multiple authors. But I can not find a satisfying answer for my question. I
wonder if there is any way that with using APA style get citations to
automatically use et. al. instead of multiple authors.

Not directly no, you can change the code to do so though (although
that is complex according to most people).

I want to have the second and later citations to have et al if the authors
are more than three. *

Could you explain that last sentence a bit more? Suddenly you are
talking about 'second and later' (what do you mean by that anyways?)
while the previous paragraph seems to indicate all citations. Are you
talking about in-text citations? Or are you talking about the
bibliography at the end? I guess the easiest way to explain what you
want would be an example of what you currently have and what you want
to have.

Yves
--
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
magnus magnus is offline

Thanks

I did a test and created some referenses with diffrent number of referenses:
I the added them twice as in-text citations. What I want is to have the
second time use "et al." instead of the authors name. I am using APA and when
having 7 or more authors it uses "et al." every time I use it.
(Authors, title, year)

(1, et al., 7 authors, 2008)
(1, et al., 7 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6, 6 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6, 6 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, 5 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, 5 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, & 4, 4 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, 3, & 4, 4 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, & 3, 3 authors, 2008)
(1, 2, & 3, 3 authors, 2008)

/Magnus

"p0" wrote:

On 14 nov, 13:41, Magnus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
magnus magnus is offline

I found that changing the lcid to swedish (1053) changes the citation style.

(1, o.a., 7 författare, 2008)
(1, o.a., 7 författare, 2008)

So if that can change perhaps the author "count" can be changed!?

But I can not find any file with o.a. as a property anywhere i the office12
directory.

/Magnus

"p0" wrote:

On 14 nov, 13:41, Magnus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

The language specific settings are hardcoded into Word. They are
passed along together with the sources to the formatting engine. There
is no way to change/update those as far as I can tell. (It is possible
from within the formatting stylesheet, but it would seem
counterproductive to go that way.)

The problem with your request is that all in-text citations (even the
grouped ones) are coded independently. So, it is not possible to say
if some in-text citations has been used before within the same text.

If you want to change the number of authors to display, you will have
to do it for all in-text citations, not just for the first or second
or third one ... That said, the style you would have to update would
be located at WinWord.exe directory\Bibliography\Style\APA.xsl .

Yves

"p0" wrote:
On 14 nov, 13:41, Magnus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
magnus magnus is offline

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Been gone collecting data for my essay.

Well I guess I will have to edit all in text citations by hand.

/Magnus

"p0" wrote:
On 14 nov, 13:41, Magnus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy Jimmy is offline

Basically, MS Word doesn't really format in APA. I was very disapointed
about that. MS -- if you are reading, this needs to be corrected. After the
first citation of a source with 3 or more authors, the citation should say
"(Author et al., Date)." Please fix this. Or at least don't have the
program say that the paper is in APA format when it isn't.

"Magnus" wrote:

Hi

There are a few discussions about citation and using et. al. instead of
multiple authors. But I can not find a satisfying answer for my question. I
wonder if there is any way that with using APA style get citations to
automatically use et. al. instead of multiple authors.

I want to have the second and later citations to have et al if the authors
are more than three.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Unfortunately, that's not possible to fix. One of the design decisions
(flaws) in the citation engine is that each in-text citation gets formatted
separately meaning it has no knowledge if the same source was cited before
or not.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com

"Magnus" wrote:

Hi

There are a few discussions about citation and using et. al. instead of
multiple authors. But I can not find a satisfying answer for my question.
wonder if there is any way that with using APA style get citations to
automatically use et. al. instead of multiple authors.

I want to have the second and later citations to have et al if the
authors
are more than three.

Waddlek Waddlek is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Hi

There are a few discussions about citation and using et. al. instead of
multiple authors. But I can not find a satisfying answer for my question. I
wonder if there is any way that with using APA style get citations to
automatically use et. al. instead of multiple authors.

I want to have the second and later citations to have et al if the authors
are more than three.
Hello,

I recognize that this is an old post, however, the problem still exists.

Here is a VBA workaround that will:
1. Search for references with 3 or more authors. The code uses the number of commas in the in text citation.
2. If that reference is used more than 1 time the code will prompt you on whether you want to modify the in text citation.
3. If the user indicates they want to modify it will place an in text citation after the built-in citation using the et al format
a. The citation will be highlighted in yellow and a bookmark will be
i. Example: (Waraich, Mazzuchi, Sarkani, & Rico, 2013) (Waraich, et al., 2013).

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub UpdateEtAl()
Dim fld As Field
Dim strOld As String
Dim strNew As String
Dim col As New Collection
Dim cnt As Variant
On Error GoTo MyErr

'Delete all EtAl bookmarks
Call DelBookMarks
'Loop through each field in current document
If ActiveDocument.Fields.Count 0 Then
For Each fld In ActiveDocument.Fields
'If the field is a reference then...
If fld.Type = 96 Then
fld.Select
'add the reference to a collection
col.Add fld.Code, CStr(fld.Code)
'If the references already exists in the collection jump to MyErr
End If
Next
End If
Exit Sub

MyErr:
'Err.Number 457 is thrown when attempting to add a duplicate item to a collection...
If Err.Number = 457 Then
'If there are 3 or more commas in the in text citation then...
If CountCharacter(fld.Result, ",") = 3 Then

'Ask if the user wants to change the reference to the et al format
If MsgBox("The reference" & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & fld.Result & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & "has been used before and appears to have 3 or more authors" & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & _
"Would you like to change it to use et al?", vbYesNo + vbCritical, "Change to et al?") = vbYes Then
'If the user answers Yes then...
'Move to the right of the reference field..
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=2
'... and call the function to parse the reference the et al format
'and add the changed text after the existing reference...
Selection.TypeText Text:=" " & SetEtAl(fld.Result)
'...then select and highlight the changed text in yellow
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=Len(SetEtAl(fld.Result)), Extend:=wdExtend
Options.DefaultHighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
Selection.Range.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
'Increment the counter for naming EtAl bookmarks
cnt = cnt + 1
'Then add a bookmark using the name "EtAl" & Format(cnt, "0000")
With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:="EtAl" & Format(cnt, "0000")
.DefaultSorting = wdSortByName
.ShowHidden = False
End With
End If
End If
End If
'Then move to the next field in the original loop
Resume Next
End Sub

Public Function SetEtAl(ByVal strReference As String) As String
Dim First As String
Dim Last As String

First = Left(strReference, InStr(strReference, ","))
Last = Right(strReference, Len(strReference) - InStrRev(strReference, ",") + 1)
SetEtAl = First & " et al." & Last
End Function

Public Function CountCharacter(ByVal str As String, ByVal ch As String) As Integer
Dim cnt As Integer
Dim c As Variant
For c = 1 To Len(str)
If Mid(str, c, 1) = ch Then
cnt = cnt + 1
End If
Next
CountCharacter = cnt
End Function

Sub DelBookMarks()
Dim x As Bookmark
'Loop through bookmarks, deleting any that begin with EtAl
For Each x In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
If Left(x.Name, 4) = "EtAl" Then
x.Delete
End If