Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim in Melb Kim in Melb is offline

Default Word 2007: Multi-level lists

Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number columns" item
under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you can explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim in Melb Kim in Melb is offline

Hi Doug & Stefan:

Many thanks for your responses. Methinks I may have bitten off more than I
can chew! I now have the code (thanks to you) ... question is, where do I
put it? Is this something I need to create in Visual Basics?

Thanks heaps,
--
Kim

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the braces
from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes. To
duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure to update
it, for example by toggling Print Preview).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
delimiters.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim-in-Melb Kim-in-Melb is offline

Hi Stefan:

Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further. My mutli list
is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go. The
reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used by
hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill. Therefore, I'm still
confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I go
into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to each
multi-list entry?
Thanks,
--
Kim

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list. The first level
uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

SEQ fields can't be linked to styles, unfortunately. Since there are many users
with different experience, maybe it would be easier to use auto numbering and a
numbering format that is supported by Word's multilevel list feature.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have tried the field construction on Cindy's site, but must admit that I
cannot get it to work. So, instead of trying to figure out why, I decided
it would be easier to create a macro to apply such numbering to all of the
paragraphs that were selected, which is what the following will do:

Dim i As Long
With Selection
For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
.Paragraphs(i).LeftIndent = InchesToPoints(0.5)
.Paragraphs(i).FirstLineIndent = -InchesToPoints(0.5)
If i 27 Then
.Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(64 + i) & vbTab
ElseIf i Mod 26 = 0 Then
.Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) - 1 + 64) &
Chr(64 + 26) & vbTab
Else
.Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) + 64) & Chr((i
Mod 26) + 64) & vbTab
End If
Next i
End With

it also formats the paragraphs with a left indent of 0.5" and a hanging
indent of -0.5" and inserts a tab space after the paragraph "number"

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?€ at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update
automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview
and
then back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you
can
explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number
columns"
item
under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's
website
at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that's certainly better than my suggestion. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim-in-Melb[_2_] Kim-in-Melb[_2_] is offline

Thanks Doug and Stefn. I'll think I'll stick with the auto numbering offered
by Word for this template however the macro will come in handy for other
pieces of work - I appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

"Kim in Melb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you for the follow-up!

[...]