Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Default Wildcard to Find and Replace with fields?

In Word 2007 I'm editing a paper which contains EndNote citation fields, and
in the course of switching the paper to a different bibliographic style I
need to find and replace any space that occurs before a citation. Each
citation exists in the document as a field in Word.

With field codes toggled on, when I do a simple Find for ^d Word finds each
field with no trouble, but when I switch on "Use wildcards" and try the
syntax
Find: ( )(^d) - and I have also tried ( )([^d])
I get an error message saying that ^d is not supported when the Wildcards
check box is selected.

Can anyone help me with Find and replace syntax that will work for this task?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I am not sure what you mean by EndNote citation fields. If you use Alt+F9
to toggle on the display of field codes in the Word document, what do you
see in place of the fields that you want to modify?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"David Newmarch" wrote in message
In Word 2007 I'm editing a paper which contains EndNote citation fields,
and
in the course of switching the paper to a different bibliographic style I
need to find and replace any space that occurs before a citation. Each
citation exists in the document as a field in Word.

With field codes toggled on, when I do a simple Find for ^d Word finds
each
field with no trouble, but when I switch on "Use wildcards" and try the
syntax
Find: ( )(^d) - and I have also tried ( )([^d])
I get an error message saying that ^d is not supported when the Wildcards
check box is selected.

Can anyone help me with Find and replace syntax that will work for this
task?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Thanks for picking this up.

EndNote bibliographical software, through the EndNote add-in for Word,
inserts in-text bibliographical citations in a Word document as fields.

I'm not concerned at this stage with modifying any fields, Switching to a
different bibliographical style (not to be confused with Word's formatting
styles) is a procedure that EndNote takes care without any difficulty. My
problem is just with finding the fields so that I can delete the
now-extraneous space (in the ordinary Word text, not the field) that in most
instances exists immediately before the point where the field has been
inserted. In other words I want to bring these fields up against the
preceding text - where previously they were inserted with a space between
them and the preceding text.

But Word doesn't let me find ANY fields using wildcards. There are also
other fields in the document, like hyperlinks and a table of Contents, and
when Use Wildcards is checked ^d doesn't find them either. (Without
Wildcards, ^d finds all of them.)

When the field codes are displayed, all of them (the citation entries and
the hyperlinks and what have you) are enclosed in the usual curly brackets. I
also tried just searching for spaces before curly brackets, but Field Code
brackets don't seem to be findable with Find and replace.

Does this information help?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you will tell me what appears when you toggle on the display of the field
codes AND where the space that you want to delete is located with respect to
the { } field delimiters then I can probably help you.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word itself does not use fields for endnotes.The fields presumably are
inserted via your EndNote software, however quickly checking at Google there
are several EndNote packages, hence Doug's request to learn exactly what
your endnote software inserts that you wish to find. It is simple enough to
locate fields using vba, provided you know what the field construction is.
What exactly appears between the curly brackets {}?

..

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Thanks for all replies.

I avoided saying what's inside the curly brackets because when the fields
are displayed they tend to be very long. But in the case of the EndNote
citation fields, each one begins with "{ ADDIN EN.CITE EndNoteCite",
followed by lots more stuff, and ending with "/Cite/EndNote}".

Maybe there isn't a way to do wildcard find and replace for fields
generically, and probably not something one would really need, but it would
be handy to be able to use it with EndNote fields, which I frequently work
with.

A kind of workaround for me meanwhile is simply to Find each citation by
jumping from one to the next using Browse by Field on the scrollbar, but it
would save time to be able to Find AND Replace, and I would welcome a
suggestion of code that could do it programatically.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Forgot to add that the space I wish to remove is any space that comes
immediately before the first opening curly bracket (i.e. before the insertion
point of the citation). Sometimes there is no space before the insertion
point, in which case there's nothing I need to do.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following macro should then work

Dim oField As Field
Dim oRng As Range
For Each oField In ActiveDocument.Fields
If InStr(1, oField.Code, "ADDIN EN.CITE") Then
oField.Select
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseStart
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.MoveStart wdCharacter, -1
If oRng.Text = " " Then
oRng.Delete
End If
End If
Next oField

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Many thanks Graham. It works like a charm.

This is the second macro you've provided for me in the last couple of weeks,
and it has been an excellent learning curve studying how the VBA pans out.
I'm very grateful to you for that.

Would I be going too far out out of line to ask if you could extend this
piece of code to perform one further operation?

Once the spaces to the left of a citation's insertion point have been
removed I then want to search for any commas or full stops (only commas or
full stops) that come immediately to the right of the insertion point (that
would be to the right of the field's closing curly bracket), and move them to
a new position immediately to the left of the citation. Possibly this should
be a separate operation but I think it would be safe enough to do it all in
one shot with a single macro.

What these two operations will in effect accomplish is to tidy up the
puctuation for conversion of an in-text author-date citation style like APA,
where the citation is entered inside a comma or full stop, to a citation
style using superscript numbered citations that must follow a comma or
full-stop (in this case a superscript version of the Vancouver style that is
common in medical publications). A macro that does it all in one click would
be a very handy little tool.

The author of the paper I'm editing originally wrote it for an APA-style
journal, then decided to switch and send it to a medical-style journal.
EndNote will change the form of the citations for you, but it doesn't have a
way to shift their location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Let me get this right ... you want to move any comma or full stop that comes
immediately after the closing bracket of the field to immediately before the
opening bracket of the field. Is that correct? In that case you can create
another range at the end of the field to encompass the following character,
essentially repeating the process to remove the space, and add the content
of that range (if a comma or a full stop) after the previous range, before
deleting the the second range.

Dim oField As Field
Dim oRng As Range, oEnd As Range
For Each oField In ActiveDocument.Fields
If InStr(1, oField.Code, "ADDIN EN.CITE") Then
oField.Select
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseStart
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.MoveStart wdCharacter, -1
If oRng.Text = " " Then
oRng.Text = ""
End If
oField.Select
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Set oEnd = Selection.Range
oEnd.End = oEnd.Start + 1
If oEnd.Text = "," Or oEnd.Text = "." Then
oRng.InsertAfter oEnd.Text
oEnd.Delete
End If
End If
Next oField

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Perfect. Does exactly what's needed. One click in EndNote converts the
citation style, and one click on this macro now shifts all the citations
inside the punctuation mark. Huge time saver.

Thank you very much indeed.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Make that "one click on this macro now shifts all the citation OUTside the
punctuation mark." Whoops.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's ok, he's saying the macro is doing just what he wanted. In US
style, footnote marks (etc.) appear to the right, i.e. outside, of
punctuation marks, but author-date references are considered part of
the sentence so they go to the left, i.e. inside, of punctuation
marks.

Now you've lost me?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP