Mark64

Default Autotext entries

I am having a problem trying to solve this issue and I don't seem to be
looking in the right places in Word. Can anyone help. I have a document
template that is saved on a shared server and is used by numerous people. I
have figured out how to save the format of the document toolbars by going to
the Organizer and setting it to save with the template, that way when other
users open it up, the standard toolbar will open up with the document.
However, I am trying to get the autotext entries that I have created to also
follow this document. I went to the Organizer and found that it asks for the
template file to open with it. However the Autotext entries are all in
different templates. Should I make all of the autotext entries into one
template, or is there a way to open multiple templates. Actually what I
really want to do is to have just the Autotext entries to follow the shared
document.

I am not sure if I made this very clear. Can anyone help?

Thank you
Jay Freedman

Mark64 wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

I think you should consolidate all the Autotext entries into the one
template to simplify your life.

To help with this task, go to http://jay-freedman.info and download
AutoTextDumper and AutoTextLoader. Use the dumper to create a separate
document for each template that now contains Autotext entries you want. Then
use copy/paste to combine all the documents into one, and use the loader to
put those entries into the single template.

It might be a good idea to create a login script that downloads the template
from the server to each workstation's local drive, like the scheme for
macros described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...buteMacros.htm. The advantages of
this are (1) the template is locally available to users who aren't always
attached to the server, such as laptop users; and (2) you can update the
template on the server at any time, without having to worry about whether a
user has it open.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Charles Kenyon

AutoText cannot be stored in a document, only a template. You'll need to put
them in this template if they are specific to the template. On the other
hand, if they are more general, you would want to put them into a separate
global template. See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for
step-by-step instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up
customizations including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments,
toolbars, macros, etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.