Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karyn Karyn is offline

Default Increase in Word file after applying template

I am creating a template to apply to a number of large documents. After
creating the template, I applied it to my unformatted text file (opened in
Word). The file increased significantly in size and caused the computer to
lock up several times. When I created the original template it was 3,569 K
and after deleting some unnecessary styles it was 13,566 K. The unformatted
text file is 210 K and after applying the template 252 M. The template
contains some variables. I did some research and the only two things I found
we turn off Allow Fast Saves option (this can cause the file to become
bloated) and graphics. Allow Fast Saves is not on and there are no graphics
in the file, yet. Does anyone know of anything else that will cause a file to
increase significantly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Karyn:

This doesn't sound like your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check File
Versions and make sure you're not storing any versions -- and clear the
Automatically Save A Version On Close check box if it's not.

Have you tried creating a new document based on your template and pasting
the text in as unformatted text? I'm not suggesting this as a work method,
but just to give you more troubleshooting information.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Karyn" wrote:

I am creating a template to apply to a number of large documents. After
creating the template, I applied it to my unformatted text file (opened in
Word). The file increased significantly in size and caused the computer to
lock up several times. When I created the original template it was 3,569 K
and after deleting some unnecessary styles it was 13,566 K. The unformatted
text file is 210 K and after applying the template 252 M. The template
contains some variables. I did some research and the only two things I found
we turn off Allow Fast Saves option (this can cause the file to become
bloated) and graphics. Allow Fast Saves is not on and there are no graphics
in the file, yet. Does anyone know of anything else that will cause a file to
increase significantly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karyn Karyn is offline

Bear -

This doesn't sound like your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check File
Versions and make sure you're not storing any versions -- and clear the
Automatically Save A Version On Close check box if it's not.

Yep, we checked that. We're not storing any versions.

Have you tried creating a new document based on your template and pasting
the text in as unformatted text?

That's our next step. We were hoping to avoid that, but it looks like the
only way we'll determine the cause of the swelling file size.

Thanks for your help!

Karyn