Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default file save as word 2003 xp pro

Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the file
save as option and call the file test.doc. It doesn't prompt me to
overwrite the existing test.doc shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
versions??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No - if you open a document and use SaveAs to save it with the same name you
won't get a prompt. If you use SaveAs to save it with a different existing
name, you will.

"Andrew" wrote in message
Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the
file
save as option and call the file test.doc. It doesn't prompt me to
overwrite the existing test.doc shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
versions??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Andrew,

You are correct that in past versions you would get the replace or overwrite
prompt. Evidently this is a change, if you open a file and use save as to
save it back to same file name, Word does not ask. However if you open a file
and attempt to save as another filename taht already exists, you will get
that familiar prompt.

HTH

"Andrew" wrote:

Scenario I open a document called test.doc and make a change. I use the file
save as option and call the file test.doc. It doesn't prompt me to
overwrite the existing test.doc shouldn't it?? I belive it did in earlier
versions??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

When you open an existing file and make changes, just close the file
and answer yes to the prompt to save changes. Or save your changes,
then close the document. There is no need to go through the steps to
SaveAs the existing file name.

Cheryl