Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jesslyn Jesslyn is offline

Default Word Menu Items

I have a custom template that contains a new menu with 3 to 4 items on it.
Each of the items is a different custom (home grown) add-in to Word. To
simplify future updates, we are trying to separate each of those menu items
so that we can change each of the various items in its own silo, rather than
have to update all apps when one changes. We are looking to each app having
its own template in our Word startup directory.

So....is there a simple way to add a single menu item (menu called OMM)?
For example template A & B each have the OMM menu with one item on it, they
are just different items that combine in Word. Then when I add template C in
the startup directory, I will now have three items on that OMM menu.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Jesslyn

First, let's be sure we're all talking about the same things here.

A template is a .dot file which is used as the basis for a new document. A
user creates a new document based on the template by doing File New and
choosing the template, or by double-clicking the template name in Windows
Explorer. Any functionality (macros, toolbars, buttons, whatever) that is
stored in a template is only available to documents that are based on that
template.

Functionality in an add-in is available to all open documents, regardless of
what template is attached to them.

Roughly speaking, an application is a stand-alone executable that runs on
its own, not much related to Word.

So, with that terminology in mind:

- what version of Word do you have?
- what are you doing now?