Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PT PT is offline

Default Changing the startup view

This has been asked and answered many times, but I'm having problems again.

Somehow my opening template (presumably normal.dot) has been changed - I
don't know how. So the opening toolbars are filled with icons I don't use,
and missing some I do use.

I thought that the procedure was to do a File | Open and select file type as
Templates. Then fix the toolbars and File | Save. Since I can't save the
template as normal.dot, while it's in use, I save it as normal1.dot, in the
same template folder as normal.dot. Then I close Word, use explorer to get
to the templates folder, delete normal.dot, and rename normal1.dot as
normal.dot.

The problem is that reopening Word has me back where I started.

Where am I going wrong?

--
PT

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Feb 9, 1:04 pm, "PT" wrote:
This has been asked and answered many times, but I'm having problems again.

Somehow my opening template (presumably normal.dot) has been changed - I
don't know how. So the opening toolbars are filled with icons I don't use,
and missing some I do use.

I thought that the procedure was to do a File | Open and select file type as
Templates. Then fix the toolbars and File | Save. Since I can't save the
template as normal.dot, while it's in use, I save it as normal1.dot, in the
same template folder as normal.dot. Then I close Word, use explorer to get
to the templates folder, delete normal.dot, and rename normal1.dot as
normal.dot.

The problem is that reopening Word has me back where I started.

Where am I going wrong?

--
PT

First I would go to ToolsOptionsSave and verify that prompt to save
Normal.dot is checked.

Then close Word. Go to your template folder and an make sure that is
no orphan Normal.dot file hanging around. I forget exactly what it
looks like, but I think it has the squiggly symbol or dollar sign or
both in the name.

Delete it if found

Now restart Word. Open any document. Customize your menus, etc (just
do one or two now as a test). Close Word, when prompted to save
normal.dot say yes.

That should be it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Right-click on a Toolbar and select Customize. Select the option to Always
Show Full Menus. That will turn off that daft adaptive menu crap.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oups.com...