vrk1

Default Compare feature in Word 97 and Word 2000

This was a question posted here already by someone - I am experiencing the
same problem as this person. I am reposting this to see if there is a
solution to this problem:
When I use the compare feature in a document created and compared in Word
2000, it basically strikes out everything as if it all changed, then puts
everything back as if it was all new. I had someone send this same document
to me, except that it was created and compared using Word 97, and it looked
more like it should - just crossing out or adding language that was actually
different.

Is there a way for me to change my settings in Word 2000 after I have
document created so that it displays like Word 97 when compared?

I tried the following:
1. Attempted to compare these two documents in Word 2003 - it compared the
way it should like in Word 97. However, Word 2000 comparison was wierd!!

2. Made sure that Track changes is not highlighted in Doc 1 and Doc 2,
Accepted all the changes and copied and pasted both the documents into a new
document (minus the last paragraph mark). Compared Doc 1 with Doc 2 using
Word 2000 - Same result!

Is there something wrong with Word 2000 comparison feature? (How can it
work in Word 97 and 2003 but not in 2000???)

Thanks for your responses.

Charles Kenyon

The compare feature does not work well in Word 97 or Word 2000; it is better
in Word 2003. My recommendation, short of third party software, is to
compare text files rather than Word docs within Word. You'll be able to
handle much larger documents doing that and get changes in the text shown.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"vrk1" wrote in message
[...]

vrk1

Thanks for responding to my post.

I had the same opinion too. However, I am thinking Word 2000 should offer a
better "compare documents" feature (like in Word 2003) compared to Word 97,
right? No. I am seeing that Word 2000 behaves different from Word 97 and
2003 when it compares to document comparison.

Somebody prove me wrong. I am confused!