Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kittykathy kittykathy is offline

Default how do I know to use DVD+R or DVD-R?

i am a beginner. i know how to use a jump drive & floppys. i don't know
anything about saving to CD or DVD. my school has Windows XP, and said we
have firewire & burning capabilities. is it smarter to stick with USB for
saving stuff?

side question: i just got a Canon Elura 100, & want to make edited DVD's for
my familly of an up-coming reunion. i read that there is a difference between
DVD+R & DVD-R. the techs didn't know which or both can be used here. how do i
know which DVD's to purchase? would it be better to use Sony's rerwitable
ones, in case i mess up (they cost more)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Really wrong newsgroup. The type of media you use is governed by your
hardware.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"kittykathy" wrote in message
i am a beginner. i know how to use a jump drive & floppys. i don't know
anything about saving to CD or DVD. my school has Windows XP, and said we
have firewire & burning capabilities. is it smarter to stick with USB for
saving stuff?

side question: i just got a Canon Elura 100, & want to make edited DVD's
for
my familly of an up-coming reunion. i read that there is a difference
between
DVD+R & DVD-R. the techs didn't know which or both can be used here. how
do i
know which DVD's to purchase? would it be better to use Sony's rerwitable
ones, in case i mess up (they cost more)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

kittykathy wrote:
i am a beginner. i know how to use a jump drive & floppys. i don't
know anything about saving to CD or DVD. my school has Windows XP,
and said we have firewire & burning capabilities. is it smarter to
stick with USB for saving stuff?

side question: i just got a Canon Elura 100, & want to make edited
DVD's for my familly of an up-coming reunion. i read that there is a
difference between DVD+R & DVD-R. the techs didn't know which or both
can be used here. how do i know which DVD's to purchase? would it be
better to use Sony's rerwitable ones, in case i mess up (they cost
more)?

Although they're a little crude & rude, the other two responses are
basically correct; you're in the wrong newsgroup. However I'm not sure
which one/s you might find your info at, so instead I took a few seconds and
found the following link for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%C2%B1R

It'll explain the differences between the +r -r RW and so on; there are
quite a few of them, and yes, you do need to buy the right media for your
drive.
Usually, if you look closely at the CD/DVD drive's door, in tiny
lettering, there will be a list of the types of media the drive supports.
Otherwise you might still have to do some research but I've never seen a
drive without that list on it.

If the link above isn't enough info, and you still cannot locate a source
for your information, come on back and Reply to this thread again with what
you still need. I don't check here every day, but I don't leave people in a
lurch when I can help it, like some others tend to do.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't think our answers were rude or crude. This *is not* the correct
newsgroup and the OP needs to know that. Plus the type of media the OP can
use *is* governed by her hardware.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And I wouldn't call it "leaving people in the lurch" when we prefer to
confine our answers to questions on subjects we know something about,
subjects that are the ones to which this newsgroup is devoted.

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Sorry you feel that way, and I understand the annoyances of off-topic,
answered a gazillion times and such, but I still think the format of the
response was entirely uncalled for with an apparent newbie.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
And I wouldn't call it "leaving people in the lurch" when we prefer to
confine our answers to questions on

subjects we know something about,

In which case, the correct response is no response.

subjects that are the ones to which this newsgroup is devoted.

Sorry you feel that way, and I understand the annoyances of off-topic,
answered a gazillion times and such, but I still think the format of the
response was entirely uncalled for with an apparent newbie.
You've changed a lot since the says of experts.com and gotten
unsympathetic to the newbies of the world. One person chiming in with a
"not here" note is plenty, too; there is no need for followon "me too's".

Pop`

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If I'd said "Bugger off, you imbecile!" or something to that effect, you'd
be right. But I told her that she had the wrong newsgroup (no caps, no
exclamation points, no insults) and I told her that the media she needs can
be determined by her hardware. No all computers will accept any writable
disks. She needs to find out what media her system can write to and then
make her decision.

I would hope that she would then understand that sometimes you need to do
some research for yourself whether it's where to ask a question or what her
computer is capable of doing.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

FWIW, when I posted, there were no other replies visible, and you will note
that my reply was actually posted six minutes before JoAnn's. I don't see
how you can possibly interpret "This question has nothing to do with Word."
as anything other than a simple statement of fact. It is certainly not rude.
We are under no obligation to go out of our way to answer off-topic
questions. FWIW, I'm still answering questions for AllExperts, but they've
gotten to be even worse than the ones here.

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"Poprivet" wrote in message
kittykathy wrote:
[...]

Pop`- Hide quoted text -

This Pop seems riveted on twisting somebodies nose over this trivial
matter doesn't he? What was it JoAnn said about buggering off? I
already deleted that thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I said that *if* I'd said that, then I could understand people getting
upset. I can honestly say that I've never told anyone to do that tho. And
only once told someone to RTFM - and that was only after the poster got
nasty.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 11, 6:25 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
FWIW, when I posted, there were no other replies visible, and you will
note
that my reply was actually posted six minutes before JoAnn's. I don't see
how you can possibly interpret "This question has nothing to do with
Word."
as anything other than a simple statement of fact. It is certainly not
rude.
We are under no obligation to go out of our way to answer off-topic
questions. FWIW, I'm still answering questions for AllExperts, but
they've
gotten to be even worse than the ones here.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.