Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Olav Lehmann Olav Lehmann is offline

Default Word 2007 _Insert_Line_ Can not use Special

If I open a Word 2003 document that has one line formatted as a multiple
line such as thin thick thin, Word 2007 alows me to insert another line and
then format to include the Special choices. Starting from scratch, Special
is greyed out. I've tested this on other peoples computers and the problem
is with 2007 is there as well. It appears there is a glitch because the the
special fromatting works on rectangles etc. Has any one else had the same
problem, or know whether an update is available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Olav,

The default straight lines available in Insert=Shape in Word 2007 are all 'active connector' lines and those connectors don't have
the line 'Style' choice in Format Autoshape or in
Drawing Tools=Shape Styles=Shape Outline=Weight=More Lines.

The ability to use connectors from any spot in a Word document, instead of just in a drawing canvas was a Word 2007 improvement, but
it lost the 'classic' line choice in Word 2007's Insert=Shape dialog. I don't know if that was intentional or a side effect of a
common Insert=Shape dialog behavior in Office 2007 apps, but there are ways to get the old lines back in Word 2007

The connector lines have green end handles on them, 'regular'/classic lines have blue end handles in Word 2007. Blue handled lines
have the style dialog available in 'Format Shape', connectors do not. There are a couple of workarounds you can use to get the
classic lines available again in Word 2007.

1. When you have a Word 2003 created document open select one of the 'old lines select it then use

Insert=Quickparts=Save Selection to to Quickpart Gallery

to be able to insert a classic line when you need it.

2. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the old style line command so that you can draw the old style lines (saving a Word 2007
document as a Word 97-2003 document doesn't change the connector types to 'regular' lines). To assign the keyboard shortcut use
Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Keyboard Shortcuts.

Select the 'All Commands' category and scroll down to the
DrawInsertLine
command and assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

3. If that command is contained in a macro then the macro could be placed on the Quick Access toolbar. Perhaps Graham Mayor or one
of the other Word MVPs will post a macro here for enclosing a Word built in command in a macro that can be added to the QAT. That
would put the 'line' drawing cursor a click away as an option.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP