Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Dunning

Default How do I stop Word from creating copies of deleted files?

I'm using Word 2000 under XP. Word or XP continues to make .tmp copies of my
files. When I try to clean out the My Documents folder, the system makes a
copy of the file I delete. Why is this, and how do I stop it so that the My
Documents file is not filled with copies of files I don't need in the first
place?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Word makes temporary working files in the User Temp folder, the Document
folder and the templates folder(s) which are removed when Word is closed.
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Andy Dunning wrote:
I'm using Word 2000 under XP. Word or XP continues to make .tmp
copies of my files. When I try to clean out the My Documents folder,
the system makes a copy of the file I delete. Why is this, and how do
I stop it so that the My Documents file is not filled with copies of
files I don't need in the first place?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Dunning

Graham,
thanks much for your reply. The problem I'm experiencing is that the
temporary files don't go away; they're hanging around in my "My Documents"
folder, and every time I try to delete them from that folder, new copies
appear. So now I have files with names like "copy of copy of blah.tmp" and
"copy (2) of copy of blah.tmp" A couple hundred of these have appeared in my
"My Documents" file and I can't make them go away. This may not be a Word
problem; maybe it's an XP thing. Don't know. But thanks for taking the time
to think about this, anyway.

Andy

Andy Dunning wrote:
I'm using Word 2000 under XP. Word or XP continues to make .tmp
copies of my files. When I try to clean out the My Documents folder,
the system makes a copy of the file I delete. Why is this, and how do
I stop it so that the My Documents file is not filled with copies of
files I don't need in the first place?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

This is a Windows filing system issue and you should ask in a Windows
newsgroup, but it is likely that when you select them to delete them you are
inadvertently copying them to the same folder. If you select a file and
press the DEL key does it go away then?

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM