Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Movie Maniac® Movie Maniac® is offline

Default [Word 2010] - Red dashed rectangle surrounding text

Hi,
I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it.
There is some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that
rotates clockwise. It is the first time that I see this and I really do
not know whats up.

Is there anybod that could explain this behaviour and its meaning?
Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default - Red dashed rectangle surrounding text

It sounds like it might be the "marching ants" (or one of the other
choices) "feature" that was included with earlier versions of Word. I
don't know how to turn it on or off directly, but you could select the
paragraph and press Ctrl-Shift-Z or (IIRC) Ctrl-Q, which should remove
the special attributes of the paragraph. (If either of those has a bad
effect, just press Ctrl-Z to Undo it.)

On Jul 26, 6:46*am, Movie Maniac® wrote:
Hi,
I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it.
There is some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that
rotates clockwise. It is the first time that I see this and I really do
not know whats up.

Is there anybod that could explain this behaviour and its meaning?
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

"Movie Maniac®" wrote,

I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it. There
is some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that
rotates clockwise. It is the first
time that I see this and I really do not know whats up.

The document was created in Word 2003? Maybe, you see the "red marching
ants". In Word 2007/2010 this text effect has been eliminated - it is
no longer accessible from the UI.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The formatting can still be applied or removed with a macro, but I suspect
that Ctrl+Spacebar (or Peter's suggestion of Ctrl+Shift+Z) will do the
trick.

http://word.mvps.org

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
"Movie Maniac®" wrote,

I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it. There is
some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that rotates
clockwise. It is the first
time that I see this and I really do not know whats up.

The document was created in Word 2003? Maybe, you see the "red marching
ants". In Word 2007/2010 this text effect has been eliminated - it is no
longer accessible from the UI.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

(I always avoid mentioning Ctrl-Spacebar because IF Chinese is
installed on your system, that's the Windows command for switching to
Chinese input, and nothing within Word can override it.)

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message

"Movie Maniac®" wrote,

I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it. There is
some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that rotates
clockwise. It is the first
time that I see this and I really do not know whats up.

The document was created in Word 2003? Maybe, you see the "red marching
ants". In Word 2007/2010 this text effect has been eliminated - it is no
longer accessible from the UI.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Movie Maniac® Movie Maniac® is offline

Il 26/07/2010 13.40, Lisa Wilke-Thissen ha scritto:
"Movie Maniac®" wrote,

I've been given a doc file and I have to do some editing on it. There
is some text that is surrounded by a red dashed rectangle that rotates
clockwise. It is the first
time that I see this and I really do not know whats up.

The document was created in Word 2003?

I really do not know. It is a technical document, part of an executive
project. It has been compiled from a model.

Maybe, you see the "red marching
ants". In Word 2007/2010 this text effect has been eliminated - it is no
longer accessible from the UI.

I do not know what "red marching ants" is, unfortunately. I am currently
using office 2010 beta. I tried to save it to docx format, but the
problem persists.

Then I opened the docx with 7zip and took a look at the
word\document.xml file. I found this line of code:
w:effect w:val="antsRed"/

so it might be that the "red marching ants" effect is applied . Is
this true?

I could try to attach the file if it was possible. I could send it to
anybody who would be so kind to take a look at it.

Thanks to all!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We have already told you what it is and how to get rid of it. Did
Ctrl+Spacebar not work?

http://word.mvps.org

"Movie Maniac®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I know that, but I would guess that 99% or more of users can use it
with impunity.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Il 26/07/2010 17.19, Suzanne S. Barnhill ha scritto:
We have already told you what it is and how to get rid of it. Did
Ctrl+Spacebar not work?

Well, I uset Ctrl+Shift+Z and it worked!

Thanks a lot.