Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David

Default Multiple records in one document

I am automating a mail merge and need to include multiple records on
one document. I create the data source document with the following
fields:

ClientID
Account#

Some clientids will have more than one account, some will have only
one. In my merge document, I want to be able to list all of the
accounts for one client on one document instead of printing a new
document for each account. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Word isn't really geared for this kind of thing - if you are using Access,
for example, you should be able to do what you need using the Access report
designer.

However, to do it in Word, see the following articles:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

Peter Jamieson

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am automating a mail merge and need to include multiple records on
one document. I create the data source document with the following
fields:

ClientID
Account#

Some clientids will have more than one account, some will have only
one. In my merge document, I want to be able to list all of the
accounts for one client on one document instead of printing a new
document for each account. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CheapTequila

I have a similar problem - I'm using an MS Access database as a data
source. It was suggested that I create a query in MS Access to "join"
accounts that had multiple accounts together so that in one record in
MS Access I wind up with something like:
Account Info 1 xyz^* Account Info 2 xyz^* Account Info 3
When I merge this into my word doc, these will all be on one line - I
need them on separate lines, so then I'll do a search and replace, and
replace "xyz^*" (or whatever strange unique string I use in MS Access)
with a line feed. Haven't tried the MS Access Join part yet, but the
search and replace in Word works.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Word isn't really geared for this kind of thing - if you are using Access,
for example, you should be able to do what you need using the Access report
designer.

However, to do it in Word, see the following articles:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

Peter Jamieson

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am automating a mail merge and need to include multiple records on
one document. I create the data source document with the following
fields:

ClientID
Account#

Some clientids will have more than one account, some will have only
one. In my merge document, I want to be able to list all of the
accounts for one client on one document instead of printing a new
document for each account. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You should use an Access report.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

oups.com...

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Word isn't really geared for this kind of thing - if you are using
Access,
for example, you should be able to do what you need using the Access
report
designer.

However, to do it in Word, see the following articles:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...