Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Review compatibility Word 2000 v Word 2003

Hi all (expecially any other editors out there).

I use Word 2000 extensively, making much use of the track
changes/display changes/comments facilities. I also use W98SE, which is
adequate for my purposes. I have been keeping all my files backed up to
a memory stick ('USB drive', a misleading term, IMO).

One day I know I'll have to 'upgrade' (probably when I've worn my
keyboard out!) so I recently tried my USB stick in a new laptop in my
local friendly computer shop. Files of all types could be read
perfectly, but I noticed that the Word 2003 that was on the new machine
showed up my 2000-type edits in a most peculiar fashion. It seems to me
that the display changes facility in 2003 is far poorer than 2000, or
perhaps there is some sort of a compatability setting that I could have
toggled had I gone into it more deeply. Any opinions from others that
have ezxperienced this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The default "balloons" in Word 2002 and 2003 were specifically requested by
publishers of magazines and the like who wanted a way to show markup that
did not affect the layout of a complex page (with a lot of wrapped graphics
and such). So the display reduces the page image in order to allow extra
margin space (user-configurable) to display the changes in balloons in the
margin.

You can disable balloons in Word 2002 and 2003 and go back to the classic
display (which you can also see in Normal view); the formatting options are
limited in Word 2002 (the dev team bungled this), but this is corrected in
2003.

There is a lot of flexibility in this arrangement. I am not familar with the
Track Changes feature in previous versions because I never had occasion to
use it, but in Word 2002/2003, using controls on the Reviewing toolbar, you
can choose to display markup in various ways, including selecting which
reviewers' changes you want to display. You can thus also accept or reject
the changes made by a specific reviewer. As an editor you may not find this
interesting (since you may be the only one making changes), but for large
collaborative teams, it is useful.

wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In answer to your email (probably meant as a NG post since my reply email
bounced):

More or less. I think the default formatting of insertions and deletions is
the same. But you can also see this in Print Layout view if you disable
balloons.