Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PDR

Default Create custom doc with multiple sub-docs

I'm trying to create documentation for a product that is customized by
client. I'd like to have sub-documents that describe each variation of the
product, then be able to pick and choose (depending on the client) which
sub-docs to group together to form a client's Final Documentation. The Final
Doc would have page numbering across all pages, a TOC, chapter/section
headings, etc.

I thought that Word's Master Document feature would be the answer but I've
yet to get it to work without crashing. Now I've read on Microsoft's MVP
boards "don't use the Master Documents feature - it will only corrupt!"

Any ideas on what software/tool I need to be using? I need to be able to do
paper versions and (later) will move this documentation to the web.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You can create descriptive 'sub' documents or create autotext entries that
contain the same information, and use Includetext or autotext fields to
place them in your 'master' document. You then have just the one document.
You can use conditional fields or autotext list fields to place the required
information. If most of the information in the 'master' document is fixed,
then you could use form fields in that document to collect the variables eg
http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm
Or you could use the boilerplate tool (boiler.zip) which you can download
from my web site to insert complete files at the cursor.

I have no experience of using Word files from the web, so for that you may
need a different approach.

PDR wrote:
I'm trying to create documentation for a product that is customized by
client. I'd like to have sub-documents that describe each variation
of the product, then be able to pick and choose (depending on the
client) which sub-docs to group together to form a client's Final
Documentation. The Final Doc would have page numbering across all
pages, a TOC, chapter/section headings, etc.

I thought that Word's Master Document feature would be the answer but
I've yet to get it to work without crashing. Now I've read on
Microsoft's MVP boards "don't use the Master Documents feature - it
will only corrupt!"

Any ideas on what software/tool I need to be using? I need to be able
to do paper versions and (later) will move this documentation to the
web.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Try INCLUDETEXT or one of the other options mentioned here....
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212041

Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com