Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nabellfl Nabellfl is offline

Default Current date in newly merged document that does not update

I have created a letter merge form and saved it as a .dot. For the date at
the top of the form letter and in the header for the second page I have
inserted a Create Date field. When the merge is performed the new document
is supposed to have the current date at the time of the merge and not
automatically update.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. When I merge the document the
date that I inserted the Create Date field is inserted into my new document
as text.

There must be a way to have the current date come up in my new .doc when it
is merged from the .dot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

If you want the merged documents to show the date on which the merge was
executed (rather than the data on which the mail merge main document was
created from the template), you should use a { DATE } field in the template.
Or possibly a { PRINTDATE } or { SAVEDATE } field as appropriate. If you
use the { DATE } field, you may want to unlink it after executing the merge,
so that it does not update.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"NaBellFL" wrote in message
I have created a letter merge form and saved it as a .dot. For the date at
the top of the form letter and in the header for the second page I have
inserted a Create Date field. When the merge is performed the new
document
is supposed to have the current date at the time of the merge and not
automatically update.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. When I merge the document the
date that I inserted the Create Date field is inserted into my new
document
as text.

There must be a way to have the current date come up in my new .doc when
it
is merged from the .dot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

The SAVEDATE field has the same problem as a CREATEDATE field - you get the date for the mailmerge main document instead of for the
output document.

The DATE field is probably the best way to go, and you can force the mailmerge process to unlink it instead of having to remember to
do so afterwards. You can do this by inserting the DATE field in a simple IF field. For example:
{IF =1 {DATE}}

--
Cheers
macropod