oharris

Default Retrieve old doc in Word

I saved changes to a document in error. I should have done a save as. When
I go to versions, it contains not information. What else can I do short of
scanning in the previous doc.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?b2hhcnJpcw==?=,

I saved changes to a document in error. I should have done a save as. When
I go to versions, it contains not information. What else can I do short of
scanning in the previous doc.

If you do not have Word configured to save a back up copy (tools/options/save)
then there's no chance to get back the previous version.

The File/Versions feature is similar to Save As: it only fires when you
explicitly tell it to. (But I do NOT recommend using it!)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Beth Melton

There really is nothing you can do. Once you save a document a new
file containing your current modifications is created. If the document
is still open you may be able to use Undo and undo your changes but
once you close the file there is no reverting to a previously saved
version unless you have a backup copy of the file.

To determine of you have backups enabled go to Tools/Options/Save and
see if "Always create backup copy" is enabled. If so you will find a
backup copy of your document if you change the Files of Type in the
Open dialog box to display "All Files".

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word