Show a document is left unsaved (W 2003)

Old July 2nd 12, 09:56 PM
JPh12 JPh12 is offline

Default Show a document is left unsaved (W 2003)

Is there a way in MS Word 2003 to show that a document is left unsaved (with a * appended to the filename for instance, as is customary in other text processors)?
Old July 3rd 12, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Jul 2, 4:56*pm, JPh12 wrote:
Is there a way in MS Word 2003 to show that a document is left unsaved
(with a * appended to the filename for instance, as is customary in
other text processors)?

Well, when you Close it (either with the Close box or with Ctrl-W), it
asks you whether to save the changes ...
Old July 3rd 12, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

As far as I know, that isn't possible in Word. The next best thing is
the following: You can use an add-in, created by fellow MVP Graham
Mayor, to either save automatically or to remind you of saving. See
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/SaveReminder.zip. (To read more on saving and
backing up in Word, see http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.)

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 3rd 12, 02:48 PM
JPh12 JPh12 is offline

Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
On Jul 2, 4:56*pm,
Well, when you Close it (either with the Close box or with Ctrl-W), it
asks you whether to save the changes ...
Indeed. The problem is when you haven't saved the file and you're not closing it the status of the file is unknown. As a result, a file can remain unsaved and therefore vulnerable to a computer crash.
Old July 3rd 12, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Considerably less vulnerable in Word 2010, which not only creates
AutoRecovery backups at intervals but also, if you have your Options set to
permit it, will save the last backup even if you opt not to save the file
(accessible via Recover Unsaved Versions). It also manages to recover very
gracefully from most disasters, saving as it crashes. An actual computer
crash, of course, is not so forgiving, but the backups again would be
helpful.

http://word.mvps.org

"JPh12" wrote in message

On Jul 2, 4:56*pm,

--
JPh12

Old February 21st 13, 12:17 AM
JPh12 JPh12 is offline

I'm coming back to this thread because I experienced an error during a long spell-checking session. Word crashed and even though I have my Autorecovery set to 5 minutes, the recovered file was much older (an hour). This happened before. It looks like Autorecovery is not active while spell checking. True?