can not see icon (picture) on embedded document (in Word 2007)

Old February 5th 10, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy

Default can not see icon (picture) on embedded document (in Word 2007)

For some reason (no matter how I attach a file within Word 2007), I can not
see the actual picture, I can see some of the text description and if I click
around it I can see the dotted lines around the object (& can even open the
file), but I can not see the picture.

I have tried via
1. the Insert/Object/Create from File/Display as Icon
2. the opening of the file I want to embed, Selected All/Ctrl-C, then Paste
Special within the document/selected the MS Word Object & Display as Icon
3. I try to change the shape of the object, but then I can no longer see any
text

Any assistance would be appreciated (the MS Office Online Help was of
absolutely no help).
Old February 7th 10, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Click the Office button and then click Word Options. In the Advanced
category, make sure that "Show drawings and text boxes on screen" is
selected and that "Show picture placeholders" is cleared.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old February 24th 10, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jill M

Default Embedded object icon not displayed in Word 2007

Hi Amy,
I just found the solution on another forum as I was having the same problem. I am excited to find the solution.
It is:

On the Home tab of the Ribbon, locate the Paragraph group and click the dialog launcher arrow in the bottom right corner to open the Paragraph dialog; in that dialog, make sure that line spacing of the paragraph the picture is in is not set to an Exact value.

Hope that solves your problem too!
Jill

Amy wrote:

can not see icon (picture) on embedded document (in Word 2007)
05-Feb-10

For some reason (no matter how I attach a file within Word 2007), I can not
see the actual picture, I can see some of the text description and if I click
around it I can see the dotted lines around the object (& can even open the
file), but I can not see the picture.

I have tried via
1. the Insert/Object/Create from File/Display as Icon
2. the opening of the file I want to embed, Selected All/Ctrl-C, then Paste
Special within the document/selected the MS Word Object & Display as Icon
3. I try to change the shape of the object, but then I can no longer see any
text

Any assistance would be appreciated (the MS Office Online Help was of
absolutely no help).

On Friday, February 05, 2010 3:36 PM
Amy wrote:

can not see icon (picture) on embedded document (in Word 2007)
For some reason (no matter how I attach a file within Word 2007), I can not
see the actual picture, I can see some of the text description and if I click
around it I can see the dotted lines around the object (& can even open the
file), but I can not see the picture.

I have tried via
1. the Insert/Object/Create from File/Display as Icon
2. the opening of the file I want to embed, Selected All/Ctrl-C, then Paste
Special within the document/selected the MS Word Object & Display as Icon
3. I try to change the shape of the object, but then I can no longer see any
text

Any assistance would be appreciated (the MS Office Online Help was of
absolutely no help).

On Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:29 PM
Stefan Blom wrote:

Click the Office button and then click Word Options.
Click the Office button and then click Word Options. In the Advanced
category, make sure that "Show drawings and text boxes on screen" is
selected and that "Show picture placeholders" is cleared.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

WPF Custom Validation Using the Enterprise Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ation-usi.aspx

Old February 24th 10, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Good point: fixed line spacing is another common cause for inline graphics
not being visible in Word.

For future reference, you may want to avoid changing the subject line. Not
everyone sorts messages by conversation/thread, so they may depend on the
subject to keep track of messages within a thread.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old May 31st 13, 03:08 PM
Dave Marajh Dave Marajh is offline

Lightbulb

After trying the solutions listed in the responses with no results, a coworker suggested modifying the image layout which made the entire image visible.

To do this, click the icon so that the dotted box is visible, then right-click it and choose Format Object from the context (pop-up) menu. From the Format Object dialog, select the Layout tab, then select "In front of text". Click OK and your embedded file icon and filename should now be visible.

I confirmed the above on Word 2007, but the layout functionality is the same for more or less recent versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post

Old January 20th 16, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Thank you, Jill.. Line spacing helped me..