Trouble formatting bulleted list

Old July 11th 12, 05:14 PM
BenLH BenLH is offline

Default Trouble formatting bulleted list

Hi,

I am having difficulty formatting a bulleted list in Word. I have never before experienced this particular issue. FYI, this is in Word 2007.

So I am trying to create a bulleted list that looks like this:

First Bullet
o Second Bullet
Third Bullet
o Fourth Bullet

Etc...

And what I am getting is:

First Bullet
Second Bullet
Third Bullet
Fourth Bullet

Anyone know why this is happening and how I can change it so that when I indent "second bullet" (as an example), it creates a differently-formatted bullet? Thanks in advance.
Old July 11th 12, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Assuming that hierarchical bulleted lists are basically the same as
other multilevel lists, you need to (1) place the cursor in the first
paragraph that you want to have a level-1 bullet, choose the Multi-
Level List icon from the Ribbon, and click "More."

Then assign a paragraph style to Level 1, and tell it which symbol to
use.

Then, without leaving the paragraph you're in, in the panel that's
open, go to the next level, assign a style, and choose a symbol. Etc.

Then you can mark each bulleted paragraph with its proper style name,
and the bullets will come out right.

--
BenLH

Old July 12th 12, 02:20 PM
BenLH BenLH is offline

Thanks, I actually found the correct answer in another thread:

Try Office button - Word Options - Proofing tab - AutoCorrect Options -
AutoFormat As You Type tab, second option from the bottom (Set left- and
first-indent with tabs and backspaces).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post

Old July 12th 12, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

The very important steps that Peter describes are discussed in detail at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 12th 12, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Note that depending on autoformatting is a bit risky. You'll get more
control if you set up a multilevel list correctly.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 12th 12, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Also, will that give him the different bullet for each level?

Old July 12th 12, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Good point! That is a more helpful article for bullets, specifically.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 12th 12, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Only if a multilevel list format was selected in the first place, I believe.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP