LL

Default How do I adjust space between lines below a subscript character?

When I use subscript there is a larger space below that line than between any
others. I can't figure out how to close up that space so it's the same as
everywhere else in the document. If I highlight the line and try to change
line spacing, it changes it for the whole paragraph not just that line.

Instead of using Single/Auto spacing for your paragraph, use Exact spacing.
Or you might try enabling the Compatibility Option "Don't add space for
raised/lowered characters," though I don't know if this applies to
superscript/subscript.