Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gary Brown Gary Brown is offline

Default Index new words

Word 2003:
I have created a document and marked all the words I want in the index by
using Alt+Shift+X.
I have now been requested to add more information to this document.
Is there a way for new information to be automatically added to the index?
For example, if I have already marked the word "Hello" and now add "Hello"
to the new information on a new page, is there an easy way of including the
new "Hello" in the index without 're-defining' it?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Gary Brown

--
HTH,
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful to you, please select
''''''''''''''''YES'''''''''''''''' at the bottom of the post.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Gary Brown" gary"DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail wrote:
Word 2003:
I have created a document and marked all the words I want in the
index by using Alt+Shift+X.
I have now been requested to add more information to this document.
Is there a way for new information to be automatically added to the
index? For example, if I have already marked the word "Hello" and
now add "Hello" to the new information on a new page, is there an
easy way of including the new "Hello" in the index without
're-defining' it?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Gary Brown

Just mark the new word (which adds an XE field at that point, which you'll
see if you have Hidden text displayed). Then right-click the index and
choose Update Field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That's not what I said....

The XE fields from previous marking are all still there (if they weren't,
then the Index field at the end would display an error message complaining
that there are no entries). All you need to do is add more XE fields by
marking just the new words (or new occurrences of existing entries), and
then update the Index field.

Gary Brown" gary"DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail wrote:
Thanks for such a quick answer, Jay.
I was hoping that I wouldn't have to re-mark all words. I was hoping
that there is some function for not re-creating all new indexes.
No luck, huh?
Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Gary Brown

[...]