Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sammy sammy is offline

Default help on searching for a word in a word document

I am running 2003 word and I have 8 or 9 documents open in the same folder
containing say 20 word documents.

I run the find command searching for a word in document but it only reports
the word or phrase found in the documents that I have not opened and not the
8 or 9 where the word or phrase exists also.

Do I need to install a patch and does this happen in 2007 word.

Thanks in advance

Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you ask the question correctly? I can't imagine Word searching
documents that are _not_ open.

Also, I haven't found a way to run a single search over several
documents at once!

On Apr 23, 7:40*am, "sammy" wrote:
I am running 2003 word and I *have 8 or 9 documents open in the same folder
containing say 20 word documents.

I run the find command searching for a word in document but it only reports
the word or phrase found in the documents that I have not opened and not the
8 or 9 where the word or phrase exists also.

Do I need to install a patch and does this happen in 2007 word.

Thanks in advance

Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See How to Find & ReplaceAll on a Batch of Documents in the Same Folder
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm
Replace text on a batch of files
http://www.gmayor.com/batch_replace.htm
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/VBA_Find_And_Replace.htm

On Apr 23, 7:40 am, "sammy" wrote:
I am running 2003 word and I have 8 or 9 documents open in the same folder
containing say 20 word documents.

I run the find command searching for a word in document but it only
reports
the word or phrase found in the documents that I have not opened and not
the
8 or 9 where the word or phrase exists also.

Do I need to install a patch and does this happen in 2007 word.

Thanks in advance

Sammy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"sammy" wrote:

I am running 2003 word and I have 8 or 9 documents open in the same folder
containing say 20 word documents.

I run the find command searching for a word in document but it only reports
the word or phrase found in the documents that I have not opened and not the
8 or 9 where the word or phrase exists also.

Do I need to install a patch and does this happen in 2007 word.

If you are writing about the Search feature of the Windows Explorer
environment, then I believe that it cannot search in documents that are
opened as they are flagged as "Locked".

I would suggest that you do take the time to write a more detailed post if
you want reliable help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sammy sammy is offline

Thanks for the web links

I should have mentioned I was using windows standard explore find short cut
being cntrl F and setting option to search the contents of all files in
directory for a word/string output being a list of files that contain the
string, providing files are currently not open by word or any other
application.