Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Plum3pc Plum3pc is offline

Default reversing "Last, first" in mail merge from one data source field

my data source is has last name, first name both listed in field F1. How can
I mail merge it in reverse to read in my letter

To the Parents of F1 and have it come out
To the Parents of John Jones instead of Jones, John.

Do I have to redo my data source and divide my names into two seperate fields?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Fixing your data source is the only solution. You have not mentioned what
your data source is so it is difficult to advise the best next step, but it
would be simple to do in Excel, and relatively simple to do in Word using a
wildcard replace - see http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm
where you will find an example.

Plum3pc wrote:
my data source is has last name, first name both listed in field F1.
How can I mail merge it in reverse to read in my letter

To the Parents of F1 and have it come out
To the Parents of John Jones instead of Jones, John.

Do I have to redo my data source and divide my names into two
seperate fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You will not be able to do it during the mail merge operation. The the
article "Finding and replacing characters using wildcards" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...gWildcards.htm

does however contain a section on how to reverse such information.

You may need to use a catalog (or in Word XP and later it is called
"directory") type mail merge to bring the information into Word so that you
can change the order and then use that file as the data source. In the
catalog or directory type mailmerge main document, insert the merge fields
into the cells of a one row table, execute the merge to a new document,
execute the Wildcard Replace, then insert a row at the top of the table into
which you insert names to be used as field names in your mailmerge and then
save that file and use it as the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Plum3pc" wrote in message
my data source is has last name, first name both listed in field F1. How
can
I mail merge it in reverse to read in my letter

To the Parents of F1 and have it come out
To the Parents of John Jones instead of Jones, John.

Do I have to redo my data source and divide my names into two seperate
fields?

Can't get Word 2003 to keep data file with mail merge main documen Yourcareercoach Mailmerge 9 August 10th 06 12:19 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 11:29 PM
DotNet Data Table as Mail Merge Data Source goraya Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 09:51 AM
data in mail merge letter being cut off - data source field size? tgone Mailmerge 1 May 20th 05 02:10 PM
Mail Merge Issue With Office 97 - Excel Data Source Matt Thorley Mailmerge 1 February 16th 05 12:38 AM