Geoff

Default Inserting Doc1 into Doc2

Word 2000:

I'm having trouble with layout when inserting Doc1 into Section
2 of Doc2.

I have used styles in Doc1 for formatting headings and
paragraphs (which are outline-numbered). I have inserted Doc1
into Doc2 (Section 2) and have imported the styles from Doc1
into Doc2 to ensure formatting is the same.

I have checked - the headings and paragraphs in Doc1 and Doc2
use the same fonts, line-spacing and Space Before and Space
After. Also Page Setup is the same in both documents.

The one difference (I think is irrelevant) is Doc1 and Doc2
(Section 2) do not have a Header, but Doc2 does have a Header in
Section 1.

Despite the apparent similarity of Doc1 and Doc2:

1. Doc2 (Section 2) is more spread out down the page, ie
there is more vertical distance between headings and paragraphs
in Doc2 (Section2) than in Doc1.

2. Captions above pictures in Doc1 are below pictures in
Doc2. I know this happens when settings leave insufficient
distance between the picture anchor and the picture. So the
good Doc1 distance is too small in Doc2.

Something is stretching Doc2 downwards.
Any clues?

TIA
Geoff

Anne Troy

Geoff: You sound like you're familiar with styles, so I won't go there, but
check the Vertical alignment of Section 2, to be sure it's not Centered.
Make it Top. This is found under File--Page setup, Layout tab.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Geoff

Anne,
Many thanks.
The vertical alignment is "Top" in all sections of Doc2.
The status bar indicates the vertical distance between paragraph
lines as:
Doc1 - 0.5 or 0.6 cm
Doc2 - 0.7 or 0.8 cm
This soon shows up after a few lines.
What could be causing this strange behaviour?
Geoff

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Paragraph formatting? Format--Paragraph, Line spacing. What's it set to in
each document? Maybe you just need to use the format painter:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
I usually use Find and Replace (hitting the More button to get to
formatting). So, if both texts are "Normal" style, then I'd find and replace
normal style with normal style. It's tough to say. If you can't figure it
out, I'm willing to have a look; just email it, reminding me of your
problem.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Are compatibility options the same for both documents? Check in
ToolsOptions, Compatibility tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoff" wrote in message ...
[...]

Geoff

Stefan,

Very many thanks for your reply. You hit the nail on the head!

I investigated your suggestion today by reconstructing a bad
Doc2. (I had just dumped my old bad Doc2 as I had built a good
version from a new template, based on the good Doc1. I had no
idea why this strategy worked, but I do now!)

The compatibility options were not the same. Doc1 had no
compatibility options selected. Doc2 had been constructed from
an older template that had 10 options selected, two of which I
think were responsible for stretching the document:vertically
and changing the captions to pictures; namely:

1. Use Printer Metrics to layout document (which "increased"
line-spacing).
2. Layout Autoshapes like Word 97 (which affected captions).

I think of the Tools Options dialog as being for general Word
options (not for specific document options), so did not think to
look there. (The same gotcha applies to Access 2000's
compact-on-close option.)

I am very pleased that my understanding has improved thanks to
your assistance.

Go well!
Geoff

"Geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Geoff

Anne,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the line-spacing in both documents and they were the
same. I don't think the problem related to line-spacing per se
because not only did the line-spacing appear greater Doc2, but
also the SpaceBefore and SpaceAfter headings also appeared
greater in Doc2 (even though all these properties were the same
in Doc1 and Doc2).

In fact, I checked everything I could think of! Not only did I
import the styles from Doc1 to Doc2 and verified that they were
the same in both docs, but I clicked into each heading and
paragraph in Doc2 and verified in the Format Paragraph dialog
that the formatting applied by the styles was the same. Yet the
Doc2 was stretched downwards.

Thanks for the tip on replacing styles. I am familiar with Find
and Replace and the More button, so your explanation is fine. I
assume you suggested replacing the Normal style with the Normal
style as a means of re-applying the Normal style where
appropriate. (If you didn't mean that, perhaps you'd
elaborate?) I fact I did reapply appropriate styles manually to
a few paragraphs and used CTRL-SPACEBAR to remove any possible
extraneous formatting, but all to no effect.

Earlier today I solved my problem by reconstructing the Doc2.
However, see Stefan's contribution to this conversation for the
diagnosis of my problem and my reply to him for an account of
what I did (if you're interested).

Thanks again for your time and contribution.
Geoff

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Nice one, Stefan. I always forget about that feature 'cause I rarely use it
myself.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Geoff" wrote in message ...
[...]

Stefan Blom

I'm glad I could help.

I agree with you that it can be confusing that the Options dialog has
both application-wide and document-specific settings. The advantage of
the dialog box is of course that it keeps most of the available Word
options in one place.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP