Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] marcwentink@hotmail.com is offline

Default Insert a bookmark field

I am trying to insert a bookmark field in a document template. The
template I will use in a Delphi program. I am confused how I should
Insert such a field. The help is nog clear to me. It says:

Insert a bookmark field
To print the information assigned to a bookmark by an ASK or SET field,
you must insert a bookmark field in the main document where you want
Microsoft Word to print the information.

In the main document, click where you want Word to print the
information.
Press CTRL+F9 to insert a pair of field characters ({ }).
Between the field characters, type the name of the bookmark you defined
in the SET or ASK field.
If the bookmark name is also the name of a Word field, type REF before
the bookmark name; for example, { REF Title }.

I am confused about what should be: "the bookmark you defined in the
SET or ASK field". Should I do something before entering
ctrl-f9'myfieldname'?

If I open the document template I get the error message:

"Error! Bookmark not defined"

At the exact place I wanted to put my bookmark field.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A bookmark is essentially stored information. You can reproduce the content
of that bookmark with a REF field. If the bookmark does not exist, you will
get an error message from the REF field.

Thus { SET myBookmark "Bookmark content" }
{ REF myBookmark }
or
{ ASK myOtherbookmark "Enter content of bookmark" }
{ REF myOtherbookmark }

If you need to trap the error because you are going to add the bookmark
later then

{ IF{ REF myBookmark } "Error!*" "{ Ref myBookmark }" }

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi marcwentink

If you just want to create a bookmark, then select the text to be
bookmarked, and do Insert Bookmark. Give it a name and press OK.

If you're trying to refer to the bookmark, then you just need a REF field.

Unless you want to use an ASK or SET field, don't worry about them.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Shauna Kelly schreef:

If you just want to create a bookmark, then select the text to be
bookmarked, and do Insert Bookmark. Give it a name and press OK.

That seems to work but should not I see the title/name of the bookmark
in my templatename.dot file?

I am asking this since I am working with an old template file were the
other bookmarks seems to be written as text in the file. I just do not
know if this is just written text added after adding the bookmark, or
if the name/title of the bookmark itself is displayed.

If in my own developped program change the text of the bookmark called
'mybookmrk', the 'mybookmrk' text is replaced though, so I think
somehow you can change the bookmark properties to write its name? I
have no way of finding out how the old file was made.