Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default Autoshape won't accept text

Im using a 5 point star from AutoShapes in Word 2003. I used the Add Text
option to give each star a number. Ive created a large number of these stars
in a document thats 27 pages in length. To keep the stars the same Ive been
copying and pasting them. Heres the problem: now when I copy and paste
another star, Word will allow me to change the text, but the text changes on
both it and the original star.

It works like this: I copy and paste a star thats marked with a 2, on the
copy I select the 2 and change it to 4, the original and copy both change
to 4. If I delete the text on the copy it also deletes on the original, and
thereafter no text can be written to either star.

The puzzle is that the first ~40 worked just fine....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This could be document corruption. Try recreating the document by
copying its contents (except for the final paragraph mark) into a new
document. For more on this and other fixes, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Stefan,
Thanks for the reply. I found the article you referenced very helpful. I
can't say with certainly which part of the fix corrected the error. Word
started responding correctly to an unmodified file. But it's working properly
and that's good for now.

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP