Gary L Brown

Default Word bombs on 'On Error Goto 0" in document

I am running Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3) on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 (Build
2195: Service Pack 4) at work.

If I type...
On Error Goto 0
and then hit Enter or the tab key in a Word document, the document AND Word
completely close without warning. The text is not case sensitive.

I am typing "On Error Goto 0" in the Word document itself NOT a macro.

I have a feeling it is due to a Windows Service Pack update as this doesn't
happen using the same version of Word on my home computer.
Does anyone know a way around this? Updated or 'down'-dated dlls maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

Sincerely,
Gary Brown

Jay Freedman

Hi Gary,

I wouldn't want you to think you're being ignored, but this issue
doesn't match any problem I've ever heard of. The only thing that
seems even remotely possible is a damaged AutoCorrect table.

Does the crash stop if you run Word with the command line

winword /a

or if you start Word in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key while
clicking the desktop icon? If so, that would indicate a problem in
Normal.dot or an add-in.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm for
these and other troubleshooting steps.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:04:01 -0800, Gary L Brown
wrote:

I am running Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3) on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 (Build
2195: Service Pack 4) at work.

If I type...
On Error Goto 0
and then hit Enter or the tab key in a Word document, the document AND Word
completely close without warning. The text is not case sensitive.

I am typing "On Error Goto 0" in the Word document itself NOT a macro.

I have a feeling it is due to a Windows Service Pack update as this doesn't
happen using the same version of Word on my home computer.
Does anyone know a way around this? Updated or 'down'-dated dlls maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

Sincerely,
Gary Brown

Gary L Brown

Jay,
Thanks so much for responding!

I have found that by unchecking the OptionsSpelling &
GrammarSpelling"Check spelling as you type" checkbox, the issue stops.

This gets around my issue, so as long as I don't have spell checking on OR
call spell checking with F7, I'm ok.

BTW, this issue not only affects my machine but all computers in my area.
That's the biggest reason I think it's got to do with an update. Recently,
we had a problem with the Help system due to an update to Win2k Pro SP4. It
caused IE to kill the old CLSID. The Compatibility Flag prevented the links
from appearing.
To correct that issue, we had to unregistered hhctrl.ocx, load an older
version of the file and then re-registered it!

Thanks for all your help. You sent me in the right direction and that is
GREATLY appreciated. Without volunteers like you, I don't know where we'd be!

Sincerely,
--
Gary Brown