Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EglWolf

Default Single Window Envelope Letter

I am trying to compose a letter in word, that will allow me to fold the
letter, to display the contact details of the person who the letter is for
through the window in the envelope.

Is there a "template" or standard settings for format the layout of the
letter to allow this, or will I just have to do trial and error until I can
get it right.

I am using a standard sheet of paper 8.5 x 11 and 4 1/8 inches x 9.5 inches
single window envelope from Office depot.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Single Window Envelope Letter

Yes, you can create a single window envelope letter in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Open a new Word document and set the page size to 8.5 x 11 inches.
  2. Type your letter as you normally would, making sure to leave enough space at the top of the page for the recipient's address.
  3. Next, insert a table with one row and two columns. You can do this by going to the "Insert" tab, selecting "Table", and then choosing "Insert Table".
  4. In the first column of the table, type the recipient's address. Make sure it is aligned to the left.
  5. In the second column of the table, type your letter. Make sure it is aligned to the left as well.
  6. Now, you need to position the table so that the recipient's address lines up with the window on your envelope. To do this, go to the "Layout" tab and select "Margins." Choose "Custom Margins" and then adjust the top margin until the recipient's address is positioned correctly.
  7. Once you have the margins set correctly, print out your letter on a plain sheet of paper and then hold it up to the envelope to make sure everything lines up correctly. If it doesn't, adjust the margins and try again.
  8. Once you have everything lined up correctly, print out your letter on your final paper and then fold it so that the recipient's address shows through the window on the envelope.

That's it! With these steps, you should be able to create a single window envelope letter in Microsoft Word.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Trial and error. Once you get it right - save it as a template.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"EglWolf" wrote in message
I am trying to compose a letter in word, that will allow me to fold the
letter, to display the contact details of the person who the letter is for
through the window in the envelope.

Is there a "template" or standard settings for format the layout of the
letter to allow this, or will I just have to do trial and error until I
can
get it right.

I am using a standard sheet of paper 8.5 x 11 and 4 1/8 inches x 9.5
inches
single window envelope from Office depot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fold a sheet of paper the way you will fold your printed letters. Insert it
in the envelope, from which you have removed any plastic window insert. Draw
a pencil line around the outline of the window. Remove the sheet of paper
and use a ruler to measure the position of the window on the sheet. Then use
paragraph formatting or a frame or text box to position the delivery address
there.

Then, as JoAnn says, save the resulting document as a template. For more on
letterhead templates in general, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm