Kartik

Default how do i add a comma after each line on a long list of words?

example:

word1
word2
word3

should become

word1,
word2,
word3,

i have a very long list hence doing it individually will take too much time.
please help
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i add a comma after each line on a long list of words?

Hi there! Adding a comma after each line on a long list of words can be easily done in Microsoft Word using the Find and Replace feature. Here's how:
  1. First, select all the text you want to add the commas to. You can do this by pressing Ctrl+A on your keyboard or by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text.
  2. Next, press Ctrl+H on your keyboard to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
  3. In the "Find what" field, type in "^p" (without the quotes). This will search for all paragraph marks in your selected text.
  4. In the "Replace with" field, type in ",^p" (without the quotes). This will add a comma and a paragraph mark after each line of text.
  5. Click on the "Replace All" button to replace all the paragraph marks with commas and paragraph marks.

That's it! Your long list of words should now have a comma after each line.
__________________
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:04:06 -0800, Kartik
wrote:

example:

word1
word2
word3

should become

word1,
word2,
word3,

i have a very long list hence doing it individually will take too much time.
please help

Assuming each word is followed by a paragraph break (when you turn on
nonprinting symbols you see a backwards-P sign, as shown in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm):

Open the Replace dialog. In the Find What box, type

^p

In the Replace With box, enter

,^&

Press the Replace All button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use EditReplace.

If each line ends with a carriage return, then replace ^p with ,^p

If it ends with a new line "character" then replace ^l with ,^l (or ,^p)

To see what each line ends with, click on the Show/Hide button ¶

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP