Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Balancing Columns on a Page

I've done this before, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I will
normally balance columns only on the last page of a document, and I prefer
to type with uneven columns on all of the other preceding pages. Where do I
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One option: Insert a Continuous Section Break (or Next Page Secton Break if
appropriate) at the end of the content in the rightmost column.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I've done this before, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I will
normally balance columns only on the last page of a document, and I prefer
to type with uneven columns on all of the other preceding pages. Where do
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Unless I inserted the break incorrectly, it didn't seem to solve the
problem.

Somehow, I remember a setup option, where one could select to balance
columns, but I can't find it.

GGB

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
One option: Insert a Continuous Section Break (or Next Page Secton Break

if
appropriate) at the end of the content in the rightmost column.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I've done this before, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I

will
normally balance columns only on the last page of a document, and I

prefer
to type with uneven columns on all of the other preceding pages. Where

do
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I believe you are referring to the Compatibility option "Don't balance
columns at the start of Continuous sections" (or slightly differently
phrased depending on the version of Word that you are using).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

The Compatibility option was the trick. It is under Tools/Options (for
Office 2000). I had been looking under Format, etc.

Before, when typing, the program would be balancing the columns, so that I
would actually be typing in the rightmost column before the left column was
full. The software would continuously balance the columns while typing,
even if I added a continuous section break.

Thanks for the assistance. This forum continues to be a godsend!

Gordon Biggar

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Adding a Continuous section break is what causes them to balance!

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Balancing and Spacing Columns mcp6453[_2_] Page Layout 1 February 13th 08 02:10 PM
balancing columns emg Page Layout 2 April 7th 07 12:08 AM
Balancing Columns Mocahantas Page Layout 2 December 16th 05 06:57 PM
balancing endnotes in columns Susan C Page Layout 2 May 6th 05 03:22 PM
Balancing columns Serenity2u Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 09:11 PM