Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TomF TomF is offline

Default Configure Word to use Firefox?

Is there a way to configure Word so that a link in a .doc file uses my
default browser, which is Firefox? I checked the Tools-Options-
General-Web Options section, and the only browsers listed in the
"People who view this web page will be using..." section are IE
versions. Basically I want to say "Whenever someone clicks on a link
in this document, I want it to be rendered in the default browser", or
at least to be able to specify which application to use.

By the way, I am using Word 2003 in Windows XP Professional. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tom,

You can configure *your *default browser choice, but you can't make it the default for others.

In Firefox have you set it as the default browser in Tools=Options=Main?
=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TomF TomF is offline

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I was asking is: I can configure
Outlook to use a specific browser (not IE) when a link is clicked in
an email message. I was hoping that Word would have the same
capability...or at least to make the default browser available. It
doesn't appear that it has that capability (or, possibly,
inclination). Am I correct?

Tom

On Feb 4, 11:23 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tom,

If Firefox is configured as your default browser from within Firefox a couple of things should normally happen. (1) The 'internet'
shortcuts on the desktop would show the Firefox rather than IE logo and (2) using following hyperlinks to web pages from within Word
should call the default browser. Word doesn't have a separate browser of choice setting other than to ask Windows to call the
default.

What version of Outlook are you using and which setting are you using to set a different default browser?

===========
"TomF" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I was asking is: I can configure
Outlook to use a specific browser (not IE) when a link is clicked in
an email message. I was hoping that Word would have the same
capability...or at least to make the default browser available. It
doesn't appear that it has that capability (or, possibly,
inclination). Am I correct?

Tom
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TomF TomF is offline

Hi Bob,

Firefox is indeed configured as my default browser, and the "file
types" of .htm and .html are directed at it as well. I checked
Outlook, and it appears that I was mistaken...it's not Outlook that
configures the browser, but only the file extension that triggers
Firefox. Still, it seems odd that one component of Office 2003
(Outlook) uses the browser differently that another component (Word).
Again, since Firefox is specified as the default browser, and the file
types are correctly associated with it, I am confused why Word won't
load the web pages in .doc files using Firefox, and insists on using
IE. I would normally uninstall IE just to see what would happen (my
guess is that it wouldn't automatically load the page in a browser at
all), but I need use use IE for certain web pages that won't work at
all with Firefox.

Outlook is Outlook 2003, and was part of the same Office package I got
with Word.

Thanks again,

Tom

On Feb 5, 12:45 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful