Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bhutchinson bhutchinson is offline

Default PRINTING MERGED DOCUMENTS

I created a mail merge document that is 12 pages long on approximately 500
records. The resulting document is 6000 pages long. i need to print the 12
pages for each record individually to a pdf creator. I chose file/print/
pages 1-12 or -- pages 1,2,3,4,5..... etc and the entire 6000 pages print.
bhutch
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have Acrobat you can merge directly to Acrobat from the Acrobat
add-in.
If you don't have Acrobat but have Word 2007 - see the add-in at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm
If you have neither, see the macros at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm and print the resulting
files to the PDF driver.

bhutchinson wrote:
I created a mail merge document that is 12 pages long on
approximately 500 records. The resulting document is 6000 pages
long. i need to print the 12 pages for each record individually to a
pdf creator. I chose file/print/ pages 1-12 or -- pages
1,2,3,4,5..... etc and the entire 6000 pages print. bhutch

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Fri,
4 Sep 2009 06:38:10 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields,
bhutchinson writes
I created a mail merge document that is 12 pages long on approximately 500
records. The resulting document is 6000 pages long. i need to print the 12
pages for each record individually to a pdf creator. I chose file/print/
pages 1-12 or -- pages 1,2,3,4,5..... etc and the entire 6000 pages print.
bhutch

Although Graham Mayor's reply is probably more useful to you than this,
I thought I would give my understanding of how to make printing work as
you intend.

As far as Word is concerned, your resulting document does not consist of
pages 1 to 6000, but of sections 1 to 500 with each consisting of pages
1 to 12.

Peter Jamieson gave me understanding of this obscurity in
"Subject: Mail merge pagination problems" of Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008
08:59:12 +0100.

In 2003, Word Help - Table of Contents-Printing-Print a document-
Print all or part of a single document-Print Specific pages and

sections describes how to control what you print.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you say is correct, but it is easier to merge directly to Acrobat than
to attempt to manually print 500 print jobs. The main issue revolves around
whether the PDF creation tool can be programmed to output named documents
without user intervention, and while this is no problem for Acrobat or the
Word 2007 add-in, most if not all of the free PDF tools require user
intervention to name each file.

..