Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cody T Cody T is offline

Default Form printing question

I've done up some documents as forms, so they can be completed on the
computer. That part works perfectly fine, but is there a way to make it so
that I can use the same document as a print form as well?
So, all the instructional text or fields that have not been completed should
disappear when I print so that someone can handwrite a date or name in. Is
this possible, or will I have to use two separate documents?
I am using Word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Printing a blank form is easy. Make a quick style for the default text and
change the font colour to white or to a very pale colour before you print.

Printing a partially filled in form is harder. The €śblank€ť entries would
have to be cleared of the default text before printing (e.g. enter a space).

"Cody T" wrote:

I've done up some documents as forms, so they can be completed on the
computer. That part works perfectly fine, but is there a way to make it so
that I can use the same document as a print form as well?
So, all the instructional text or fields that have not been completed should
disappear when I print so that someone can handwrite a date or name in. Is
this possible, or will I have to use two separate documents?
I am using Word 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pleasefixit?[_2_] pleasefixit?[_2_] is offline

So... what do you do if you want to post the form online for people to use -
some will fill it out using Word, others will print out the form... either
way, you want fields they do not fill out to print as blank. Is there a
solution to this?

"Cody T" wrote:

I've done up some documents as forms, so they can be completed on the
computer. That part works perfectly fine, but is there a way to make it so
that I can use the same document as a print form as well?
So, all the instructional text or fields that have not been completed should
disappear when I print so that someone can handwrite a date or name in. Is
this possible, or will I have to use two separate documents?
I am using Word 2007

dermaus dermaus is offline
Junior Member

Came here looking for something similar, but didn't see an answer. Maybe I can bump this up. I, too, am trying to create a document in Word 07 that users tab between plain text control fields to enter text (also have three date content control fields). I'm not using legacy. It's all organized into a table. This is a doc that will both be emailed and located on a website as downloadable. In the end, it will be printed to be sent around for approval signatures, then filed.

What I have created so far looks and works great, except for one thing. You see, the end user won't necessarily type into every field. Furthermore, some users may want to print out the doc and complete it by hand instead. However, when a field is not typed in and then the doc printed, the "Click here to enter text" that is in the field initially to help the end user know where to type, prints as well.

Is there an easy (e.g. non VB/macro) way of keeping the help text from printing? If not, I'll probably have to go back to legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post